Tablelands

Started by AP, July 30, 2015, 06:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

The caustic are fantastic!

AP

Quote from: Dune on August 10, 2015, 02:04:49 AM
It's probably hard to get the 'cones' of debris excatly where the gullies are, but perhaps if you use a low octave biased perlin or softened ridged perlin for the cone displacement and then a wider upward displacement for the whole hard rock, and then use the initial cone mask to 'erode' the gullies out of that shape again.... or a second planet with the hard rock. There are possibilities no doubt.

I will have to look into that possibility as well. At least there are always options at the table.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

masonspappy

Kind of reminds me of a sky pond (irrigation pond)

AP

I think i am done with this one.

I have been working on a Glacial Valley, U Shaped to be exact. This is my next project.

AP

Oshyan has given me permission to post various renders showcasing Daniil Kamperov's procedural erosion plugin used on the original renders last posted here. The original is at top where the remaining four comprise of varying types of the procedural erosion of which he tested. What an honor and thank you again for the testing.

bobbystahr

Wow..hoping this plugin gets into TG soon...coincidentally I've been playing with the Erode V3 shader and seem to be getting good results...will post when I get a really good one.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AP

Yes, the heightfield erode is good for localized close up terrain. I would be hesitant to use it on anything larger then a 2048 by 2048 sized terrain. Of course it depends on the user preferences and what the computer can handle. That being said procedural erosion has so many advantages over heightfield only erosion and being resolution independent means you are not limited to how far out you are or how close you can be. The smallest iterated details are well worth having for any terrain type.

bobbystahr

As it turns out I had an erode shader cooking while I was typing that...this is the product of an Erode V.3 on a .ter exported from terracreator alpha and I just ran the default erode. Not too shabby I'd say.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Chris on September 01, 2015, 11:33:23 PM
Yes, the heightfield erode is good for localized close up terrain. I would be hesitant to use it on anything larger then a 2048 by 2048 sized terrain.

Agree, on a 10K terrain it took at least 20 min. to generate the erosion.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AP

Yes, i recall messing with the height field erode some time way back briefly. I managed to get some tight and long fluvial channels with some nice sedimentary deposition. Not that i can recall the exact settings.

That software terracreator alpha. I used that once or twice a few months back.

Now, i never went 10k.    ;D   That could be a joke about wanting it to go up to 11.    ;)

bobbystahr

I basically scaled the ter to fit the space left in the center of the pf terrain
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AP