Server migration, possible downtime

Started by Oshyan, July 26, 2015, 07:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Howdy folks. We're moving to a new webhost and a new server in the next couple of days. It may involve a little bit of downtime, although it should not be significant.

You will know when the migration has begun because the forum will go into Maintenance Mode and you won't be able to post anymore. Once you see the forum out of maintenance mode you'll know you're seeing the new server and you can post, reply, etc. as usual.

Once the migration is complete we'll update this thread. If you see any problems with the site once this process is complete please let us know ASAP and we'll look into it. We're doing our best to minimize any issues and we don't anticipate any differences from what you're seeing now, but there is always the possibility of something slipping by us. :D

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Alright everyone. If you're reading this reply, then we're on the new server and all is back to normal! Take a look around, read and post as normal, and if you see anything unusual just let us know.

- Oshyan

Dune

That's quick, blink of an eye, never even noticed.

Oshyan

Glad to hear it, that's what we aimed for. The new hosting company is great so far. They have a dedicated migrations team. :D So that helped, though we still had plenty to do (the Wiki is now running an updated version for example).

- Oshyan

icarus51

Hi,

For info, i receive from some days a notice about "Software Update Unsuccessful (please try again later)" that i think related to Server migration. Up to now this stop is currently in action. The forum is OK.

Greetings.

Matt

Hi icarus,

I've made a change to the update script so now it works on the new server. If you try again now, it should work. Thanks for reporting the problem :)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

yossam

Am I blind............I can't find spellcheck since the migration. I use it on occasion.......... :P

Oshyan

New server might not have the server extension for spellcheck. I'll look into it. But do note that some browsers (like Chrome) have spell-check built-in, so you might consider that benefit for *other* sites you use as well, if it would be helpful for you.

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Update: It seems that the spell checking library that we used on the server is now "deprecated" (no longer supported" with newer server configurations. The official reply from the forum software development team is that they are not planning on updating the feature to use newer libraries because "most browsers include better spell checking by default now", which I believe is true. Internet Explorer does not (the new Edge browser that comes with Windows 10 *does* however), but Chrome and Firefox both do. If you still use IE, you might be able to use this addon: http://www.iespell.com/

Anyway, since this issue is unfortunately out of our hands now, and the feature won't be supported by the developers going forward, I have disabled the button here in the forums. I hope you're able to find a satisfactory solution.

- Oshyan

Dune

Lack of spellcheck won't bother me. Some people even speak French  ;D