Rock study

Started by Kadri, August 23, 2015, 09:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Thanks all.
Another test. Changed only the last surface layer child nodes.
There are some interesting parts but still not what i want.

Agura Nata

Looks great your study!
"Live and Learn!"

Kadri

Thanks.

I added 1(or 2 ?) compute nodes and some warp nodes etc. and the render time got very long suddenly.
Render is at 14 hours now. Not surprised of course. Really wish a monster computer with tests like these.
I am nearly bored on this scene just because of this.

There are ones again some nice looking and nasty parts as it looks for now.
It is at the last row. Will post it here when finished

Kadri

As am am waiting for the render i remembered the rock object that i used here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20351.msg201982.html#msg201982

Probably only for limited use but maybe you could make more out of it.
If Matt could make this object more square and the shattering a little more controllable maybe it would look good on walls...
Of course prepared square rock object (or any kind) could be used with population too.
But a procedural shattering,breaking kind of object would be easier to use i think.

The last one remembered me about some of the Mars rocks with horizontal-strata kind rock parts.

Kadri

I used a very small amount of warp amount -0.5 with small scale 1 in the last two warp nodes.
One of them has a scale of 0.5.

The tests are about that last Compute node and those 2 Warp nodes of the last image you see below.

Subjective i think but i kinda liked the negative warped ones (like in the image).
But the displacement is already too busy probably.

Anyway... I think i will try to use this one with a different POV and mostly the left side with just a little less displacement.

Agura Nata

I just look back on new fascinating studies of you, class Kadri!

Thanks for sharing the nodes, there are many surreal works that come to my mind :)
"Live and Learn!"

Dune

Interesting experiments, Kadri. Long rendertimes also put me off, so I try to use as little compute terrains as possible, preferably none. I've been testing redirect and vector displacement mixes instead, but for nice lateral displacements you are bound to have at least one compute normal or compute terrain. If they are in the early parts, they will not cost as much as later in line.

mhaze

Nice rocks - it's amazing the effect of the fractal warp shaders - I try to use them sparingly.

Kadri

Thanks Guys.

Ulco i forget about the above-below part time difference of the compute nodes.
Thanks for reminding. Just curious how much difference really is there. Might do a test today maybe.

DannyG

Nice experiments kadri.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Kadri

Thanks Danny.

Made just another test.
Don't care about the final image right now. Just full in test mode and having fun (get rid of some nodes :) ).

The file name says it all below.
Scale is 5, Warp amount -0.2, variation 1.5 and roughness 1.2 in the upper Warp node this time.

Still too much of course but i like the possibility in it.

Curious what negative warp amount does.
It isn't just bending the polygon from right to left for example as it looks.
And using the same amount (was 5 before mostly) gets a mess.Playing with small negative amounts is safer as it looks.

Going closer is another thing of course :)

Kadri

Render time is bad of course this small render took 40 minutes.
The render engine looks like it is rendering many parts that are not seen at the end.

Kadri

Got curious and changed the warp amount only to positive and rendered the same scene.
Took 23 minutes.

But...really was surprised of the high displacement amount that i couldn't see in the 3D preview before.
Hadn't waited for it to finish and even then it is only as you see below. .
Have to lower it much more.

Kadri

I get rid of more nodes (that is all of them you see).
No negative number in the warp shader.
25 minutes (with 7 cores).

Kadri

Still playing with those similar node setups.

The first one was a quick test with a population of the rock object. Not sure if more work would help.

The last ones are more interesting to me.

Unfortunately as you know using this in another scene is another story.