Rock study

Started by Kadri, August 23, 2015, 09:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Kariboo

My sincere condolences, the loss of a loved one is often difficult to pass.
I am happy to see your new pictures!

Kadri

Thanks all and condolence to you too who have lost loved ones.

Quote from: Dragonfire on March 24, 2018, 12:18:49 PM
... and look forward to new works by you, even if I do not write, I look at everything.
This was more or less the emotional state i was in the past months.
It is the people you love, like and think they will be always be with you, but you can loose in just a moment unfortunately, that is the most important thing in life probably.

Kadri

I am working on a different image based on my Cliff Contest entry.
There are 2 branches where i used a merge node with the add option.
I was curious which value (from 0.01 to 1) would have better looking structures and rendered a crop of 100 frames.
Not realistic changes of course, but still i like these kind of videos.
Wish i could render this bigger. Took more then 15 hours.
It is a 2.6 Mb GIF file.

Oshyan

Very cool animation! Reminds me of work Matt did years and years ago for The Time Machine movie. Could easily be a time-lapse (1000s of years) sequence of erosion of a cliff. :D

- Oshyan

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on April 23, 2018, 05:50:36 PM
... Reminds me of work Matt did years and years ago for The Time Machine movie. Could easily be a time-lapse (1000s of years) sequence of erosion of a cliff. :D

I love that sequence. Actually that is probably the most i remember about that movie :)

Matt

I can't take credit for how the rocks animated.. I was only responsible for the shaders, which were mostly just colouration and small displacement details which had to respond to whatever the geometry was doing. It was a bit of a nightmare to be honest!

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

Quote from: Matt on April 23, 2018, 06:30:28 PM
It was a bit of a nightmare to be honest!

I remember a little about the problems you wrote in an older thread.

While you are here can you say anything about the population bug-problem Matt?

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on April 23, 2018, 05:50:36 PM
Very cool animation! Reminds me of work Matt did years and years ago for The Time Machine movie. Could easily be a time-lapse (1000s of years) sequence of erosion of a cliff. :D

- Oshyan

Knew it. Lol Man I love Terragen. Really do. Also love that movie despite it's bad reception, but I was young when I first saw it.

Quote from: Kadri on April 23, 2018, 12:16:47 PM

I am working on a different image based on my Cliff Contest entry.
There are 2 branches where i used a merge node with the add option.
I was curious which value (from 0.01 to 1) would have better looking structures and rendered a crop of 100 frames.
Not realistic changes of course, but still i like these kind of videos.
Wish i could render this bigger. Took more then 15 hours.
It is a 2.6 Mb GIF file.

This really does help you give an idea of what all the variations will be like when merging. I assume this is the mixing of the merge shader or displacement?

Matt

Which population problem? I'm sorry I haven't been able to follow the entire thread.

Matt

Kadri

Quote from: WASasquatch on April 23, 2018, 07:01:46 PM
... I assume this is the mixing of the merge shader or displacement?

It is the "Mix to A" in the Merge node "Mix control" tab.
Yes good to see the options. But it can be misleading too with that kind of crop rendering.
The whole image looked too chaotic and i choose another frame actually in the end :)

Matt

Quote from: Kadri on April 23, 2018, 07:04:49 PM
No problem. This one:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24326.msg246986.html#msg246986

It's probably the same bug we have recorded in our issue tracker, but I don't have a fix for it yet.

Matt

Kadri

Thanks Matt. With standard objects like trees etc. on ground it isn't a problem.
But anything you need rotated it is a deal breaker mostly unfortunately.

Kadri

As i am waiting for the animation rendering i played a little with a rock scene.
I haven't got quite the look i want (there were many more versions). But some do look usable i think.
Good looking crop renders don't look good in full or in other POV's unfortunately.

Colors are temporary and the images are in no specific order.

Kadri

I want to make 1-2 images from this scene.
After that i will probably post the TGD file of this scene example here in the file sharing section.
It is a simple version but with the most important parts as you hopefully can see in the mage.