'revolutionary' use of 3D (art) for the public?

Started by Dune, August 27, 2015, 11:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

That's awesome, thanks for mentioning and the links, Micheal. The printing will probably require either a set of renders around town to feed the point-cloud, or a conversion of the objects and terrain to closed, printable 3D architecture. For a small A4 sized diorama the first would be quite feasible, I think. The latter not. But expensive, no doubt.
I'll mention it, see what they think. But I think they want to go for 'an experience'. The holographic stuff is awesome, but too private I'm afraid, and probably very expensive still.

bobbystahr

Brilliant new tech...I'm spinnin' outa control tryin t' figger out how I can get one of those printers.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

expense is irrelevant. Its not available to buy.

I am definitely looking forward to the holographic stuff though. VR has learning application for sure, but holo will really make online learning great.

And I am very interested in the paper 3d printing! First I have heard of it is in this thread. 8)
It has been eaten.

mhall

QuoteIts not available to buy

Well, he did say "revolutionary"! It's not out yet, but is being worked on in cooperation with NASA and such, should be pretty cool. :)

I think the holographic augmented reality stuff is going to be really interesting.

Of course, we don't all want to wind up like they did in Star Trek ...

Quotehttps://youtu.be/is12anYx2Qs?t=24
;D

~Micheal

TheBadger

QuoteOf course, we don't all want to wind up like they did in Star Trek ...

https://youtu.be/is12anYx2Qs?t=24
  ;D

LOL, I remember that one! But to tell the truth, I think that is exactly how some of us want to end up.

Curious what the competition will be in the augmented realm. Only WIN is pushing hard publicly. Would like to know who else has something on the burner. Also, if it is supposed to be out sometime during this rollout of win10, I am guessing then around or after christmas (when VR will be out in force, or so they say), then others should be releasing too.

Curious also how apple will compete. They are loosing lots of ground fast in lots of ways. A desktop that you can't upgrade the GPU in is basically worthless for work and advanced play. And if they don't put out a VR or augmented reality system, they are going to have a hard time making their case... there are already 50 phones that are better than iPhone in lots of ways, now.
Just comes down to OS again, I guess... Been hearing lots and lots and lots of bad stuff about win 10. Other than that old argument, apple has some work to do.

Would suck for the 90% of the world that uses win, to be 100%.
It has been eaten.

mhall

QuoteBeen hearing lots and lots and lots of bad stuff about win 10.

That's interesting. I've been following the development for the past year or so, reading recent reviews, etc. so and have heard mostly positives, to a rather surprising degree. I've heard of some sporadic upgrade troubles, but - when you consider that reportedly 75 million machines are running it - if there were major problems, MS would be being eaten alive in the press. They're usually such a popular target!

I don't have any machines running it quite yet, but I just got my daughter a Surface Pro 3 with Win 10 and my father has upgraded a couple of machines and all seems to be going quite well.

TheBadger

I should have said what I had been reading.
The complaints are about transparency. And privacy. I read that 10 is doing things without opting in, such as if you set up a family account, it is automatically sending the parent detailed logs of everything a subordinate user is doing. And what I read said that it is not clear if it is also being sent to MS, even when the "feature" is turned off. I have read a bunch of stuff like that. The thing is, I don't think most computer users in general can be thought of as "advanced". And most don't understand that the default is that they have no privacy.

The latest Ad I saw on tv, the one with all the toddlers, is really kinda creepy to tell the truth. Anyway, did not intend to make this about WIN. Just was on my mind in the context of everything else.
It has been eaten.