(Working now!!!) Tiling non-flattened terrains.

Started by bigben, August 15, 2007, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I gave tiling terrains projected onto the planet (http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2036.msg19940#msg19940) using blending masks for the terrains but while it works in principle all of the methods I tried blow out virtual memory as soon as lighting is added to the preview (or a render started)

I'll go back to flattened terrains for now, but it would be really useful to get this working at some point as flattened terrains are limited to smaller sizes.  I could use some help on this, or any word on changes to terrain mapping... No hurry..

Matt

I'm planning to add a new option to the Heightfield Generator which will make it possible to apply heightfields in a non-additive way (which currently requires "flatten first") but still allowing the curvature of the planet to be respected.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bigben

bigben

Having had trouble opening some of the TGD posted by alpha users, I figured I'd try this again with the update since it appeared to be related (problems with certain nodes and displacements). It is with great pleasure that I can report that the process I described for tiling non-flattened terrains now works with my function masks.

I had also experienced crashes with image map masks when trying to add/subtract two masks.  I'm currently running a test render with two high res terrains placed within a low res terrain. One functional mask for each high res terrain and the two masks added together and inverted for the low res terrain.  This is looking very promising as it greatly increases the amount of padding that can be done, or allows the creation a path of high res terrains over a long distance mapped onto the planet surface

:) :D ;D