Strata Island WIP

Started by bobbystahr, September 04, 2015, 01:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Just playin' around. Needs a big pier/dock as it looks like a fishing village; thinkin at the spot bottom right where it steps down. I have some stairs I could install to transverse the levels....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

I think it is a good idea bobby. You are mixing some really distinct land forms and climate zones (it seems to me). I think that idea really demonstrates the freedom of 3D and soft like TG. I always like it when it is done here.

When you mix those things effectively, you almost immediately get a believable magical result. For example, Mammut's Green mars series. But Mars is kinda standard syfi. Imaginary places like your imagine, that include identifiable terrain features that don't usually go together, can be more fun because they are always new. In this case, I feel like I see some things I would normally associate with a southwestern desert, but in a northern climate zone, at least at this stage, and I am free to imagine where that place may be in the universe.

For me that is fun because I know both the south west and the great north. But other people may associate the things in different way based on their own experiences. And that is another great thing about art or potential art.

Its just cool how anything at anytime can spark joy or interest for anyone for any reason. I think that landscapes allow for this much easier than anything else in the arts, other than perhaps music. At least thats what I think at this exact second ;D
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on September 04, 2015, 05:30:38 PM
I think it is a good idea bobby. You are mixing some really distinct land forms and climate zones (it seems to me). I think that idea really demonstrates the freedom of 3D and soft like TG. I always like it when it is done here.

When you mix those things effectively, you almost immediately get a believable magical result. For example, Mammut's Green mars series. But Mars is kinda standard syfi. Imaginary places like your imagine, that include identifiable terrain features that don't usually go together, can be more fun because they are always new. In this case, I feel like I see some things I would normally associate with a southwestern desert, but in a northern climate zone, at least at this stage, and I am free to imagine where that place may be in the universe.

For me that is fun because I know both the south west and the great north. But other people may associate the things in different way based on their own experiences. And that is another great thing about art or potential art.

Its just cool how anything at any time can spark joy or interest for anyone for any reason. I think that landscapes allow for this much easier than anything else in the arts, other than perhaps music. At least that's what I think at this exact second ;D

Thanks mate, about sums up my attitude lately for 3D anything..the grass and trees need some work and I've yet to figure out how I'm going to 'finish'..the feel un-done to the mountains ....will need some old style(sail powered)boats and I have to build a wharf as I couldn't fine a suitable one on line. Seems a fishing village to me.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

That is some interesting settlement.    :)