Daddy's home! WIP (finished animation on page 8)

Started by Hannes, September 03, 2015, 04:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

The thruster effect looks very nice. It makes the Saturn V rocket seem like a match in comparison.

Hannes

I'm planning to create an opening scene, that's quite similar to the original one of Episode 4 (is it 4? The very first movie? I'm a bit confused...). It's not intended to be 100% identical, but it should be recognizable.
Here is a comparison of the original scene to my own WIP. In my second version I added a lot of stuff into the hangar. It was a bit empty there in Fractalsponge's original model. Still not enough to my taste. It's great fun to add a lot of stuff like that.

Until my computer explodes...

AP

Correct, episode 4 a new hope.

Looking great and forward to more.

kaedorg

Classic trilogy of our youth  ::) is 4,5,6

David

Dune

This'll be an epic movie! Great stuff, Hannes.

Oshyan

Your planet looks better than ILM's did. ;) Granted it's a good few decades later, but to think this kind of capability is available on home computers... ah, a glorious world we live in. :D

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thanks guys! It's really great fun to work on that.

Quote from: Oshyan on September 13, 2015, 12:48:20 PM
Your planet looks better than ILM's did. ;) Granted it's a good few decades later, but to think this kind of capability is available on home computers... ah, a glorious world we live in. :D

- Oshyan

Indeed!!

I added more stuff to the hangar. There has to be a shot that shows all this. I'll see...
Here is a close up shot of the interior without motion blur. There are some issues with some faces. Have to fix that.
It's quite pleasing to see how TG can be fed with lots of stuff without even burping! ;)

Matt

You are a mad genius!  ;D

(I think I'd prefer to see the interior lights a little dimmer than the outside sunlight.)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

Quote from: Matt on September 13, 2015, 06:36:59 PM
You are a mad genius!  ;D

(I think I'd prefer to see the interior lights a little dimmer than the outside sunlight.)

;D ;D ;D
Worth a try!!

Dune

That's quite a shot. Awesome detail.
Short question related to animation; is it preferred to use motion blur in a 3 second 'camera move animation'? In my case, mainly clouds and 2 objects, one stationary, one moving with the view.

Hannes

It really depends on how fast the camera is moving. If the movement is quite slow, you could try to render without MB to keep rendertimes shorter, but it may look more natural with MB on.

Hannes

At the moment I'm rendering the ship passing by. I rendered the background separately as one single large image, and everything will be comped together when the ship's animation is done.
Like that I have a better quality for the stars especially, and I can use the large backdrop even for the initial vertical pan from above down to the planet before the ship appears like in the original ILM sequence. Tested it, and I'm happy with it.
But maybe it's too good. Using a single image as backdrop may look artificial if there is absolutely no movement or other "artifacts". Maybe I'll have to add some very subtle things to make it look like a regular shot. Anyway, it's always fun to make something that has already worked out look a bit crappier. ;D ;D ;D

AP

Impressive, most impressive.