Daddy's home! WIP (finished animation on page 8)

Started by Hannes, September 03, 2015, 04:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaedorg

Hannes

A frame of a desert hunt scene.
It's way more difficult than I expected. So the camera was animated, the vehicles that follow each other as well, and everything was OK. I created a GI cache file for the scene (5 frames sequence step) and rendered a test animation using 5 cache files per frame.
The result looked totally crappy! GI flickering on the objects like hell, probably due to the fast motions of the vehicles, and the motion blur blurred not only the landscape which it should do, but also the objects at the same amount, although they weren't moving that fast in relation to the camera.
So I rendered out the scene with objects made invisible, so that they cast shadows on the terrain. And then I started to create a GI cache file for the objects with GI sample quality of 5 with a sequence step of 2 (Motion blur disabled). I'll see if I get some decent results by using some more files to blend per frame than usual. In the end I'll have to render out a mask sequence for the objects to comp all the stuff together. Thus I'll have the chance to create some motion blur for the objects in PW that hopefully fits well to the TG MB of the terrain. I hope my plan will work.

AP

That sounds like a decent amount of work ahead but on another note Mr. T approves.

DocCharly65

I had the same problem in my desert animation with the viper. After two weeks sucessless research and experiments I gave up... My respect to your patience!

and I cross my fingers that your plan works!

DON'T PANIC... SHE WILL FLY... Just keep the big one asleep!
[attachimg=1]

Hannes

;D ;D ;D
Thanks guys!
There's still some flickering on the objects, but it's better. I won't give up!! ;)

Dune

Good! If it's easy everybody can do it, and it's not special anymore.

Hannes

Actually it is special. The flickering is better but still not acceptable. Did some tests with a GI cache file of every fourth frame and 20 files to blend. Still flickering.

Dune

That's partially why I am quite reluctant to do animations, and rather work on stills.

Hannes

Kadri

I haven't got a similar scene yet but it is easy to run in that kind of problem as it looks.
Curious what the best-easiest method would be in such a case.

Oshyan

Hannes, that sounds quite extreme. Maybe there are other things that need to be adjusted to improve the flicker result. Would you like to work with me on it? (Fantasy scenes are making good progress too :D).

- Oshyan

Hannes

Cool, yes! Any suggestions?

Matt

Do you have objects moving in world space? You probably need to calculate GI for every frame. Blending might cause problems if you're blending with caches that have objects in different positions, but it might still work OK if you at least have a cache for each frame.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

Quote from: Matt on October 06, 2015, 05:07:30 PM
Do you have objects moving in world space? You probably need to calculate GI for every frame. Blending might cause problems if you're blending with caches that have objects in different positions, but it might still work OK if you at least have a cache for each frame.

Matt

Thanks, Matt!
Yes, there are two objects flying around with the camera following them quite fast. So, you're recommending to calculate GI for each frame. How many frames to blend would you use for the interpolation?

Hannes

OK, I calculated a GI cache file sequence with each single frame and did a short test using 12 files to blend. Seems to be working as far as I can see now. There may be a little bit of flicker left, but I hope it's going to be acceptable.