Daddy's home! WIP (finished animation on page 8)

Started by Hannes, September 03, 2015, 04:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Matt's suggestion is certainly good, given the object movement. I would also want to know what the actual GI settings are, detail and sample quality, supersample on/off, etc. Hopefully blending of 12 gi frames isn't necessary! I'd hope 5 or 8 would do (with the right other settings), and should be faster to render.

- Oshyan

Hannes

Oshyan, the settings are GI cache detail 3, GI sample quality 8, supersample off (I should have tried it... :(). I created a GI cache file per frame and used 20 (!!) files to blend. Rendertimes were not too bad, because I used an animated crop region with only the objects inside (about six hours for 225 frames). The background was already rendered separately.
The flickering is almost gone. The actual amount of leftover flicker can be interpreted as changing light bouncing off the ground as Doc Charley mentioned in his own thread. I'm happy with it.

The solution to render out the background with TG's native motion blur and then rendering the objects separately without MB and comping the whole thing together works like a charm.
Adding motion blur for the objects in postwork looks really good. Thus every part of the scene has it's own more or less correct blurring.

Oshyan

Glad to hear you solved it then! This is definitely a challenging scene for TG currently. Hopefully we can improve on the results in these kinds of scenarios in the future so such "acrobatics" and extreme settings aren't necessary. Can't wait to see the final result!

- Oshyan

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on October 07, 2015, 03:04:31 PM
Oshyan, the settings are GI cache detail 3, GI sample quality 8, supersample off (I should have tried it... :(). I created a GI cache file per frame and used 20 (!!) files to blend.

The solution to render out the background with TG's native motion blur and then rendering the objects separately without MB and comping the whole thing together works like a charm.

You cannot imagine how pleased I am about this news, Hannes!
Unfortunately I feel the duty to work on my Viper in the desert again!   :P  ;D
I'm still a little afraid from comping the desert and the Viper ... But I was also scared from the dust clouds... so let's see what happens  ;)

Your frame looks very cool anyway!

Funny thing: I use 20 files to blend, too! My thoughts when choosing that value: The GI blending files give a kind of hint for the illumination and while rendering an average illumination is created to avoid flickering. So the longer the distance between changing illumination-values the less flickering... Best result I got with every 10trh frame a file and 20 frames blending...

Hannes

It's really cool to learn new things even after years and years of working with TG.

Hannes

I'm quite busy. Today I finished two more scenes. Still 40 frames of the last scene to render!!!
Probably I'll have to adjust some things, maybe rerender a few frames, and then I'll try to add sound. This is going to be an adventure. I've never done that before, but I'm sure it will work. Hopefully...

Dune

Wow. Nice light here. I can't wait, Hannes!

DocCharly65

Really nice light!
Postwork? - I'm sure I don't know about a "flare-button" in TG  :D

And good luck with the sound  :)

Hannes

Yes, postwork. I thought looking into the sun without any lens flare would look unnatural.

Well, the sound... Actually I don't even know yet which software I'm going to use. But as I said, I'm quite confident.

Hannes

OK, I think rendering is done. Feels weird.

Dune

Like having finished a painting, you fall into a void, somehow. Recover soon, Hannes! And have us share your weirdness  ;)

Hannes

Still not yet in the void although the visual stuff is completed.
I created a movie out of the (7450) frames and loaded it into a video editing program. Adding sound now. The intro music fits perfectly. And it's great fun to do some Foley stuff