Is it possible to create a sky like this?

Started by Psyrius, September 12, 2015, 06:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psyrius

If it's possible to create something similar, can you give me some tips and tricks, please? :) I guess it's some kind of overcast sky.

http://i.imgur.com/QHdAt9T.jpg

(Took this picture in Sweden. We always have so nice weather here!)

The closest I've gotten so far is this: http://imgur.com/T9p469D

I'm not really feeling it yet :/

Psyrius

I'm also wondering what I should do to improve the gradient effect on the atmosphere if it's bright on the horizon and darker above. You can see lines... I want it to be really smooth. I have no clouds in this particular setting and it's almost like night.

AP

EDIT... Matt's test looks great so use what he posted.    ;D

AP

Quote from: Psyrius on September 13, 2015, 04:22:04 AM
I'm also wondering what I should do to improve the gradient effect on the atmosphere if it's bright on the horizon and darker above. You can see lines... I want it to be really smooth. I have no clouds in this particular setting and it's almost like night.

You might want to increase your atmosphere samples. 35 or more might be a good start.

Matt

Welcome to the forum!

This kind of scene is difficult in Terragen because most of the light in the clouds has been scattered multiple times before reaching the camera. It can be faked with additional light sources but it takes a lot of experimentation to get it to look good. But... challenge accepted!

Try the attached scene. It uses two soft-shadow-casting lights, as well as a non-shadow-casting light to control the colour of the deepest shadows. The idea with the soft shadows is to try to get light to spill softly into the clouds, simulating light coming from higher up in the cloud layer and the sky above it. There are two different lights in slightly different positions and different colours. I also made the background white.

It uses 3 cloud layers. It's a little on the slow side because of those soft shadows and multiple cloud layers.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

TheBadger

Thanks matt for posting that! these little clips that get posted here often make the difference between a good render and a boring one, for me at least.
Atmos are so important. And I dislike working on clouds. So thanks 8)

There is also this preset by frank. B. One of my favorite drop in atoms
http://www.store.nwdastore.com/atmospheres-clouds/overcast-sky
Its optimized pretty well I think. Never had problems with it, and its pretty easy to alter... Only 3 nodes if I remember right.
It has been eaten.

Matt

Quote from: Psyrius on September 13, 2015, 04:22:04 AM

Can you post an example? It should be possible to make a smooth gradient, but sometimes colours can be messed up with display settings or JPG compression. Visible bands can also occur in the atmosphere if you set the number of samples very low (I'm thinking 3 or less, but it probably depends on other settings).

Matt

Psyrius

Here's an example. If you zoom in really close, you can see it. http://imgur.com/QCm5EbB

Matt

Is this a direct output from Terragen, or did it go through some other program?

8-bit images (8 bits per channel, 24 bits in total) can only display 256 different shades of each colour channel, and so can your monitor (probably). With dark gradients like this you probably only have a few dozen possible shades. If we create a perfectly smooth gradient in software and convert each pixel value to the nearest possible shade from 0 to 255, this will create visible bands. Terragen 3 overcomes this problem when it saves 8-bit images by adding some random noise to each pixel value, a technique called dithering, which should hide the bands and replace it with barely-noticeable noise. However, there are many different things that can happen while you're manipulating images which can destroy this detail and cause the banding to return, or even get worse.

1) If you save a JPG with any amount of compression, this dithering is usually lost and the banding returns.

2) If you save an EXR out of Terragen, it doesn't add any dithering because EXRs are expected to contain the most precise information about the original colour and they are not limited to only 256 shades. But the problem is, if you look at this EXR on your monitor (which probably only shows 256 different shades ), you will see bands. And when you convert this EXR an 8-bit image, it will create bands. So it's up to you to add some noise or grain in whatever other app you're using to process the EXR before you save it as an 8-bit image. Still, if you save as JPG, see point number 1. JPG does offer some lossless modes that should preserve the noise/dither, and there are other formats you can choose such as PNG and TIF which are lossless and should keep the noise/dither.

3) If you do any kind of colour adjustment on an 8-bit image, the banding gets worse, and usually becomes less regular too, but I don't think that's happened here.

Matt