DebrisMaker2

Started by AP, September 22, 2015, 02:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

http://aarondabelow.tumblr.com/tagged/debris

The rock types for this 3dsmax plugin would be very nice for a fake stones shader update. Of course the other objects as nice also.

Dune

Who's going to write this for TG as well? Looks really handy.

yossam

AP

Yes, just imagine having a procedural object creator plugin with the ability to populate and layer stack any of those custom objects.

Sometimes, i just wish i was a coder/programmer.    :)

Hannes

kaedorg

It would be great indeed. Waiting for a volunteer to code it  ::)

David

TheBadger

[attachimg=1]

Not possible to port. Max still only for windows. I hate autodesk. I hate them I hate them i hate them.
It has been eaten.

zaxxon

That would be a great TG plugin for sure. 

PabloMack

Quote from: Chris on September 22, 2015, 02:08:49 AMThe rock types for this 3dsmax plugin would be very nice for a fake stones shader update. Of course the other objects as nice also.

The fake stones shader in TG is very nice and I am very please with it. What is most glaringly absent from TG is something to create what is generally called "ground litter". Forest floors are almost always so covered with the dead and decomposing plant parts that it produces that you can't even see the ground. If you could attach specific litter objects into a "fake litter shader" from which to generate the litter, its value would be incalculable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=photo+natural+ground+litter&biw=1920&bih=1002&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCoQsARqFQoTCM7UzMrOjcgCFcMYkgodNOsOUg

AP

Where the fake stones shader is lacking is it uses only one noise type, in nature there is not just voronoi shaped stones and it would be nice to stack stones on top of one another as a alternative way of making rock strata layers. Using this same method, even hoodoo's can be easily made and stone walls reminiscent of areas of scotland.

Could not ground litter just be made using imported objects through the populator anyways? I thought i have seen some users try this method out. However even doing this, we still need a way to stack populations.

PabloMack

Quote from: Chris on September 23, 2015, 07:24:44 PMCould not ground litter just be made using imported objects through the populator anyways? I thought i have seen some users try this method out. However even doing this, we still need a way to stack populations.

Populating objects like trees works well because there are relatively few per hectare. They are large vertically and a few cm higher or lower doesn't make much difference. Individual pieces of leaf litter are inherently so small that a million of them won't cover very much area. For a million trees I probably need on the order of many billions of instances of leaf litter. I don't think anyone's PC can handle instancing populations of that magnitude. Mine certainly couldn't. You can build a ground litter object out of many pieces of litter, but when you go to place them a few millimeters too high or low they are either floating in air or they disappear under the ground. I've tried to use tiles of litter (as objects) but I have found no way to make stiff tiles flow with the terrain on the surface. You can only position the object as a solid rigid object. Leaf litter is relatively small and I wouldn't know how to get all of them to set on the ground (especially uneven ground) right. Each tile tends to have parts of it go under the terrain and other parts float off the terrain. The bigger the tile the worse the problem is. It nullifies the benefit of having to instance relatively few objects and doesn't work very well. You end up with something like a ground litter lake that can only appear in a depression or the corners will stick out into the air. For litter to work right you need to instance them individually, trillions of them.

The beauty of fake stones is that you can have a whole planet of them and they don't have to be instanced as a population. This saves untold amounts of memory.

AP

Certainly, i agree. If you want to create a very believable scene. Tiles certainly would present issues there. There would need to be a tile object that would conform to the terrains displacement. Completely flat tiles are not going to work as you said. The tiles need an altitude offset function but still have the ability to sit on the terrain at the same time.

What we need is a procedural object designer. An x, y and z vector profile drawing tool to make many possible shapes within that shader. No instancing needed. These objects of course need to be stackable and have the ability to be layered in various ways. Then procedural rocks, logs, twigs, leafs and other objects can be procedurally edited and scattered upon the entire planet.

Also, i would imagine it would not be to terribly difficult to instance along the y axis and not just x and z.