Adding Trees/Plants

Started by Cmurda420, September 18, 2015, 01:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmurda420

Hello everyone!

As this is my first post i would like to say hello to the community! I am very new to terragen and i am currently only using the free version since i am unsure whether i would like to purchase the full copy, I have had the program for some where around 2 weeks and i really enjoy using the software.  I downloaded a few of the tree and plant items off of the planetside website but when i create the new population object and get the coordinates copy and pasted which i followed through a youtube tutorial to learn i get an error of no object file specified.  I can see the plants in the quick render area but when i do a full render there is nothing.

Thank you for your time and patience and look forward to working with you guys.

Oshyan

Which YouTube tutorial are you following? Can you link us to it here? Perhaps it is missing some important step.

I would suggest first trying to load just a single object. When you add an object loader (TGO or OBJ), it should bring up a file selection dialog box where you would pick your downloaded object files (remember to extract any archives, e.g. .zip or .7z, outside of Terragen before attempting to load objects inside them). If a single object loader works then there is probably something being missed in the process you're using to create populations.

It's particularly odd that you say you can see the object(s) in the "quick render" (3D preview) area, but they don't show up in renders.  More detail (and perhaps screenshots) are needed. You can share a .TGD scene file of what you have done as an example using the Attachment functionality when you post...

- Oshyan

Dune

Welcome.

You did paste the centre of the population in front of the render camera I suppose? What I usually do is hover above the scene in the preview, with the camera in view and locate the population some distance in front of the camera, so that its outer border just covers the camera. If you need a bigger population that the default 1x1km, move the location further away from the camera of course. I also rotate the population with the same rotation of the render camera, for maximum efficiency of the instances.
And the population needs to be anchored to the planet and compute terrain. When it isn't, all trees may be underground (or hover).