Erosion --- rivers

Started by Dune, September 20, 2015, 12:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Just WOW, both at the plug in's potential and what Ulco's done with it so far....excuse me, I'm drooling now.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

I was also reminded of basalt columns. Cool that I'm not the only one. :)

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Ulco,
Please post a render before and after applying the erosion feature. It will make it a lot clearer to see what is happening.

looks cool so far anyway.
It has been eaten.

Dune

@Chris, this is what I am after. And in an easy way, that renders fast. One day...

@Micheal, the erosion plugin doesn't  (yet) exactly work that way (though I could try to show the difference, maybe); it's not a shader that you can add afterwards like the fractal warp. It's basically shaping the terrain from the start, but I found a way around, and used the computed maps to displace the terrain, then hooked the initial shader off again. But it takes some thinking to get this to work properly. But Daniil is very committed, and I am definitely sure he'll come up with something incredible and multipurpose.

AP

I seem to recall vue having a fractal noise just like that or very similar. We need a procedural noise creator plugin.   8) 

Dune

Which will be difficult I suppose. If you start out with a hilly/mountainous terrain, you already have the rounded bulges. To flatten that into these square rocks, you'd need to have the rock displacement to 'fill' it to a square, not just displace it. Easier from a quite vertical, straight wall, like in a valley.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 22, 2015, 02:49:38 AM
@Chris, this is what I am after. And in an easy way, that renders fast. One day...

@Micheal, the erosion plugin doesn't  (yet) exactly work that way (though I could try to show the difference, maybe); it's not a shader that you can add afterwards like the fractal warp. It's basically shaping the terrain from the start, but I found a way around, and used the computed maps to displace the terrain, then hooked the initial shader off again. But it takes some thinking to get this to work properly. But Daniil is very committed, and I am definitely sure he'll come up with something incredible and multipurpose.

Did you do that rock or is it a photo Ulco?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

8)

haha, photo. But that's the goal, isn't it?

kaedorg

[/quote]

When you get such a question, you're definitively a Master of Terragen  ;D

David

bobbystahr

Quote from: kaedorg on September 22, 2015, 01:37:32 PM

When you get such a question, you're definitively a Master of Terragen  ;D

David
[/quote]

Uh yup!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Well, not master enough to take it for granted that it's a render  :)

Kadri

The blocks aren't so bad as you think if you ask me.

bobbystahr

I really thought he'd bent them to his will in that photo they seemed so similar...bash on Ulco, you're closer to square than the rest of us, uh square in the geometric not cultural sense, hee hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Daniil

I feel that this is on topic.
Two of my attempts to create river system using my plugin (although it wasn't designed to do rivers). I didn't use sofisticated methods like Ulco's, it is direct use of my shader.

Daniil.

fleetwood