Erosion --- rivers

Started by Dune, September 20, 2015, 12:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

This is possible with inverted crater shaders or with simple shape shader or displacable objects or clever use of power fractals colour shaders and using simple shader to create the grooves. Dune can probably come up with several more ways.

AP

Maybe that idea could be cleverly blended along with the Procedural erosion?

Dune

I think it's quite possible, especially with the erosion shader, using the deposition mask.

AP

Right, i think so because all it is basically is deposition but just tighter and higher near the slope along the same path as the narrow fluvial channels. Another name for this might be an Alluvial fan.

Daniil

As for such talus piles, they aren't generated by erosion shader directly. Maybe it is possible with some clever use of masks/maps, but  shader doesn't produce it because of very simple deposition algorithm used in shader. Some early experiments with deposition gave similar effect, but there were other problems, so I decided to stick with simpler deposition algorithm, which doesn't model sediment transport.

I hope to get better sedimentation and deposition effects in my future works.

AP

I am sure someone will think of a cleaver way around the issue, at least for now. It would present a nice challenge.