(Poll) Do you use the Terragen Library to preview project files?

Started by Kadri, October 02, 2015, 04:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use the Terragen Library to preview project files?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
16 (84.2%)
Often
0 (0%)
Sometimes
2 (10.5%)
No clue what you are talking about
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: November 01, 2015, 03:52:47 PM

Kadri

When you render a scene there is an option to use the rendered image as a preview for the TGD file.
You can see a preview within the library of the Terragen scene that way.

The library and that preview option sounded nice to me but i don't use it.
It is mostly because of habit. I use Totalcommander for file management in Windows since nearly two decades.
So i save the test renders as the same name of the TGD scene file.
It is easy to find especially old projects very easily in this way, when the test renders and scene files have similar names.

I wanted to ask if it was possible-easy to add the project file name directly in the "Save as" option in the render window?
That would be great especially if you do many test renders and have many different scene files.
What do you think guys?

One other small thing...
When Terragen sometimes can't find some scene files (textures,object) and you know the folder you still have to find the specific file.
If you have 1-2 files in the scene it is easy. But sometimes there are many objects with kinda similar names and it gets hard.
Would be nice if Terragen could find the file in the folder you choose for itself, without having you to find and click on the specific file.

fleetwood

Frankly, I quit opening or using the Library view over a year ago. I could not get it to function smoothly with a big number (1300 plus) of objects.

Hetzen

No I don't. I work with scenes that I render an output with the corresponding name.

Where it's use makes sense to me is with assets and I've been too lazy to get those organised.

Kadri

Quote from: Hetzen on October 02, 2015, 06:27:48 PM
Where it's use makes sense to me is with assets and I've been too lazy to get those organised.

In my animation project maybe the most i learned while working on it, is that i have to be much much more organized from the beginning.
Especially when you are hunting scenes,objects etc. 6 months,1 year later it is astounding how much time i loose by searching for the right files.

Hetzen

Quote from: Kadri on October 02, 2015, 07:03:52 PM
In my animation project maybe the most i learned while working on it, is that i have to be much much more organized from the beginning.
Especially when you are hunting scenes,objects etc. 6 months,1 year later it is astounding how much time i loose by searching for the right files.

Not only that, it's tweaks you make to object files, their textures and TG attributes. I'd rather make it easy to put those objects into a library rather than a scatter gun approach to what's in an existing directory. Tough  though. Organising crap is tough.

bobbystahr

Quote from: fleetwood on October 02, 2015, 06:22:36 PM
Frankly, I quit opening or using the Library view over a year ago. I could not get it to function smoothly with a big number (1300 plus) of objects.

same here
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

Quote from: Hetzen on October 02, 2015, 07:12:33 PM
...Tough  though. Organising crap is tough.

:)

If i can finish this one i will first read more about different approaches out there like yours before the next project.
It gets me on the nerve even now when i think about how i will put all those files together in Sony Vegas.

zaxxon

I use the assets in several programs and have evolved a 'messy room' approach, it may look messy to outsiders but I know where everything is. As the assets are being tweaked continually I save the .tgo's in a folder with it's sibling .obj and .fbx files, etc. So for my use the Library is just more work than needed.

Dune

I tried the library a few times, but abandoned it a year or more back.

Kadri

I don't mean it in a harsh way, but at the time i thought for a small development team like Planetside that the Library-albeit useful looking at first sight- was a waste of time.

j meyer

AP

Looked at it once or twice but i never used it for any work.

Hannes

I never used the library. I thought it's only me, but obviously it's definitely not the most used feature in TG.

archonforest

I tried to use only once and TG was keep crashing for some reason. Never tried again as have my own file system for objects...etc.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd