In the drydock

Started by DocCharly65, October 14, 2015, 02:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Today my boss will not be satisfied...
because I'm very very tired today
because I didn't slep very long last night
because I had an inspiration last night

... after all these nice planets here I had an idea for a space-scene for my animation-plan. The shuttles would anyway take part but where do they come from?

After a night full of textures, recalculating normals, 36 spot-lightsources  and little clouds as stars... welcome to the busstop in space.

For the models I visited scifi3d.com again.

[attach=1]

Dune

Creativity is tyring  ;) Nice scene!

kaedorg

Love Star Trek so I like this image  ;)

David

DocCharly65

Because it's just too early for my TG3-knowledge I was shopping at NDWA  :)

I was able to produce some very very simple planets... but FrankB did just a much better job with his Planet Pack.
That was worth every single cent.
But anyway I needed much time to replace and change some other things (smaller and denser stars e.g.)

Also a big "Thank You" to j meyer for a link to a better star trek model by Raul Mamoru.

Hope you like the completely new begun stardock:

[attach=1]

fleetwood

Good one. I think I saw this scene two days ago. Star Trek marathon running on cable  :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: DocCharly65 on October 16, 2015, 07:38:54 AM
Because it's just too early for my TG3-knowledge I was shopping at NDWA  :)

I was able to produce some very very simple planets... but FrankB did just a much better job with his Planet Pack.
That was worth every single cent.
But anyway I needed much time to replace and change some other things (smaller and denser stars e.g.)

Also a big "Thank You" to j meyer for a link to a better star trek model by Raul Mamoru.

Hope you like the completely new begun stardock:

[attach=1]

The clip at this link will save tons of resources for making starry skies and space scenes.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19264.0.html
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

someone made a Freddy Krueger vs Jason Voorhees movie ("Freddy vs Jason"). I really think its time for one of you guys to do a Star Trek Vs Star wars image, if not a film. :)
It has been eaten.

DocCharly65

Thanks bobby, one day your suggestion can be very helpful.

In this case FrankB did such a good job with his Planet Pack that even the stars can be manipulated. They are an image map shader projected on a the background and repeated. I only understand to make them smaller, bigger, more or less dense... but that's it... I understand perhaps 5% of the planet pack so I don't change anything, I don't need  ;)

The moon is almost physically correct. For easy use I used a textured spere object. It's app. 1/3 of the planets size. I chose the distance just for a plausible and realisic look and position.

Animation is already in work. This time it's a monster. Rotating the planet didn't look good and as I have seen, the clouds and surface layers seem to change.

But you all should know me - I mostly find a crazy solution through my improper use of Terragen  ;) ;D
In this case I used the fact that not the planet is rotating under the satellites but satellites in reality are orbiting the Earth with the necessary escape speed for a stable orbit... believe it or not: The objects and the camera are moving with some 1000 km/h. (Not sure if it's really km or just "Terragen-units". Of course I did not calculate the exact speed - I just did some tests to find a plausible looking speed. A big challenge was finding out the relative speeds between the objects so that the ISS will overtake the docking station... and some moving vessels...

It has been a busy weekend (besides checking the new rendering of the Viper in te desert...)

Here a sideview of the docking station (TheBadger, you're right - will perhaps not be a Star Trek vs Star Wars movie but some universes may meet for playing cards - or at least the galactica viper should get lost here because of a navigation mistake :)  )

[attach=1]

And to enjoy the the depth of the universe in 3D:

[attach=2]

Dune

QuoteRotating the planet didn't look good and as I have seen, the clouds and surface layers seem to change.
Did you check move/rotate textures with planet in the planet tab and move textures with cloud in the cloud tab?

I think the textures on the dock are a bit too clean. I don't know how dirty space is, but no doubt such a thing would erode through flying debris. And maybe it's nicer anyway to give it some grubby look, instead of spic and span. Just my opinion.

DocCharly65

I should have known, Ulco  ;D

You're right a bit, but I am too :)

In the animation it will be difficult to see and I think not really necessary.
But in this case I will also refer to the original Startrek the Motion Picture - the vehicle is fresh and new built waiting for the first "take off"

One of the most common criticism to the TV- and movie series: Many people see the Star Trek universe as too clean  ;)

I forgot to upload:

One of the first aimation frames in the "front view":

[attach=1]

Dune

Glad to be a bit right  ;) I don't know the background, obviously.

DocCharly65

;)

If you keep the nose close to the monitor you even smell the fragrance of fresh leather and virgin plastic inside the Enterprise.

;) ;D ;D

Dune

DocCharly65

Hard time, when all PCs are rendering and I just have to wait... But a new idea and a new protagonist in my animation let me stop and pause one PC from his job and try this.

Happened because I found the free "FBX-converter" from Autodesk. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909 I could convert a model now that was useless for me before. This is one of the first Models I wanted to get into my Viper animation but I couldn'd because conerting didn't work.

On the other side of the Planet many thousands of km's away from the drydock:

[attach=1]

anaglyphic 3D:

[attach=2]

I found the model by Wil Jaspers on scyfi3D
The sun flares are one of my seldom postworks.

At the moment I start reading manuals for "fusion 7.5". I agree now that there is no way to avoid some postwork in my animation. But I still hope to be able to do most of the rendering including effects inside Terragen.

Kadri

Looks good.

A purist approach is nice from some aspects and i like it too.
But if you want to make some bigger projects there is almost no way to do it without other software-postwork.

When i finish my animation i want to to learn Fusion too.
Hitfilm is nice and i made some good use of it but sometimes i get some render problems.
Would be nice if you share the experience you have with Fusion here too :)