Real-Displacement-Textures

Started by AP, October 15, 2015, 07:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Is that what you did, OK.    :)   

Dune

I'm following this with interest, but don't quite understand waht this guy is doing. Making photographs and having some algoritm to produce displacement maps/normal maps? Bake that into the photo somehow? Won't this get very repetitive over larger areas? Apart from the pebbles a lot can be done procedurally, IMHO.

AP

Here is one of his quotes...

"I made some test with vector displacement textures and it worked well, but for this pack I only planed a simple displacement in normal direction. The reason is also that some engines still not support vd.
Possibly in future or for costumer orders I can do this."

Christoph Schindelar

Dune

So, they're floating 32-bit exr or tiff files with texture plus normals in one file somehow?

AP

I'm not certain. I have to look into this some more if there is more information available that is.

j meyer

Quote from: Dune on October 22, 2015, 06:27:29 AM
So, they're floating 32-bit exr or tiff files with texture plus normals in one file somehow?

Nope,just the usual stuff.Colour map ,displ map,etc, all separate files.

Dune

Thanks, Jochen. So this software makes the displacement map out of the photo? That's something Pixplant (or Crazybump) can do as well. I try to understand this guy's work, that's all, because it looks really good.

j meyer

He says something about scanning.And he mentions polycounts.
Sounds to me like he is deriving his displ maps from objects which
are based on scan data.Thus matching the foto texture.
But I'm just guessing.

PabloMack

I'm not sure I understand. Is the "displacement" that is going on here happening at the surface of the individual stones or is the whole layer of stones considered to be a displacement of the ground layer? I suspect it is the latter since the "wheel" is being coated with a layer of rocks? I wish I could do this with leaf litter.

TheBadger

He is doing the same thing, in effect, as you would do with 123D catch, but making standard maps of the processed obj.

Just download the demo file. I posted a link on the first page.

Ulco,
Yes it becomes repetitive. Just use the files (when more are available) in the immediate foreground and let TG do the rest.
And yes, he is creating files that you can get from crazy bump. But the files you get from crazy bump are dependent on the quality of the source, getting sources like he is using is not fast or easy. The detail he is capturing in the first place is what makes the end result so good... At least in other apps (as the example renders show)

On a side note. Crazy bump crashes on me when I lode any of his images into it. They open, but once the 3d preview starts it crashes.

The only real problem with the demo, is that its not as interesting as his example images. Hope he will release a few more soon. I really want to see if I can recreate his sand in TG! This one:https://cdn1.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/001/291/781/large/christoph-schindelar-testrender-01.jpg?1443926897  8)
It has been eaten.

Dune

I think you can do this in TG if you do enough variation in PF's and blends.

TheBadger

Even if you could, which I seriously doubt, it would not be worth it. I assume you are talking about the sand image? I have never seen that level of detail in any TG render (where the effect is procedural) of almost any subject.
It has been eaten.

AP

One thing for certain is we would need more noise flavours just for the particular shapes and patterns. Improved types of distortion might help also. Better lighting as well, photometric which Matt mentioned in another thread i think. Also, a color gradient editor with image importing for color sampling.

TheBadger

Also, don't forget these
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/yAAVx
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zzmD2

To me, it remains absurd to try and create ground debris as objects, and to me, it feels obviously impossible to do so using procedurals, such as things are. Although I can at least imagine PlanetSide making presets for such things as they do stones, for example... At least that seems possible. But otherwise, this is about as good a solution as I have ever heard.
It has been eaten.

AP

I had seen that and it's very nice. We would need a vegitation software as a plugin so in effect that plugin can be integrated within Terragen in such a way to create procedural vegetation including mixed ground debris populations.

I don't want stone objects as much as i want a more advanced fake stone shader.    :)

The rock object is a pain to use and honestly i do not see anyone using it that i am aware of.