An ambitious project: Hawaii

Started by Ariel DK, October 23, 2015, 06:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

I don't want this thread to go off-topic for too long, so this will be my last response here. We can continue in an Open Discussion thread if you like.

I'm not saying that JPG is appropriate for everything, not at all. I am merely saying that it is absolutely a useful format and it has its place, which is to say, places where it is *more* appropriate to use than other options, including PNG, TIFF, etc. One of the places where JPG often makes more sense than other formats is on the web. This is especially true when the image being displayed is not intended for printing or other close scrutiny. That is likely to be true, for example, of work-in-progress images like all of the ones shown so far in this thread, and many others here on the forums. There's nothing wrong with posting the occasional lossless PNG image to show people your final, high quality resulting image, but it's pointless to avoid JPG merely on principle and use PNG for every image, even WIP.

The mark of truly knowing your image formats is knowing when to use each of them appropriately. They all have their place, even, to some degree still, GIF. ;)

- Oshyan

WAS

I will agree with you there, but I would have you try to understand that in 2015 we assume (in most data-centers I also work at) that everyone is on High Speed internet. Those that aren't, are knowingly putting themselves at a inconvenience. For example, all the software I use to capture my screen and share with others uses PNG technology. The screenshot program I use uploads and saves in BMP, PNG, and TIFF. Because in this day and age we just prefer "HD" over anything else. This is where I casually go about linking PNGs and don't see it as something anyone should really gripe about. If it's really a issue with PNG's I can add a filter for you to exclude large PNGs in favor of JPEG uploads for the site! Not trying to say "You are wrong!" just saying it's become rather standard now.

Anyways, yes let's keep on topic.

Ariel DK

about the format discussion, I can't said nothing that no was said here, WASasquatch have their point, but also Oshyan, when he
said that "The mark of truly knowing your image formats is knowing when to use each of them appropriately". ;)

but keeping all on topic: I must say that your work is very interesting, WASasquatch. is a DEM? or, what do you meant with "custom terrain"?
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

WAS

Quote from: Ariel DKMultimedia on October 26, 2015, 06:00:02 PM
about the format discussion, I can't said nothing that no was said here, WASasquatch have their point, but also Oshyan, when he
said that "The mark of truly knowing your image formats is knowing when to use each of them appropriately". ;)

but keeping all on topic: I must say that your work is very interesting, WASasquatch. is a DEM? or, what do you meant with "custom terrain"?

It's a custom .ter file from L3DT. It's huuuge, took awhile to render out all the erosion levels. The tree population in that image is 10,000 meters. So I may need to resize the island a bit. :P

Ariel DK

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 26, 2015, 08:59:24 PM
"...The tree population in that image is 10,000 meters. So I may need to resize the island a bit. :P
hehe my pops are indeed, much more bigger than the yours, but "clip on camera" is activated (except for test images obviously), my advice for you, if you ask me: resize the pops, never the island ;)

I've been a little busy today, but returning to the game, I unzipped the .gz data (thanks to Oshyan for the tip), and for now, I'm using it as a good reference for when I add the procedural shaders. I also plan maybe to use this as a base for these shaders, you know... step by step

Ariel DK

just a test of the procedural shaders. all the detail is there, even though that this is based only on simple masks, looks well from ground. so, well, the funny part starts here... 8)

WAS

Wow, those are very nice! Very well done! Definitely can tell Isla Nublar's inspiration came from here.

I really especially love these three spots. The detail looks so well done.

Ariel DK

thanks, I can say that soon there will be all kinds of plants there. and the size of the most biggest population, have now 130k x 160k, likely the size of the island.
however, some zones (especially south and southwest) looks more like Iceland with tropical tone :o

meanwhile, i need to tweak some things here and there

Hannes

Ariel DK

populating palm trees, and all kind of plants native from Hawaii

Unfortunately, I can not deal with all the vast populations in the scene. the memory of my PC 16 gb RAM, does not seem to be enough to do the job. the best I can do now is to simply, placing the camera where I want to render, and start to populate from there.

now, looking forward to render volcanic coasts, and black sand beaches.

hey Hannes, you can imagine to Vader vacationing over here? :D

AP

There is a thread here about Black Sand.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19164.0.html

It is looking quite interesting. 

Vader would need some serious AC and dehumidifying controls in his suit. 

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Hannes

Quote from: Ariel DKMultimedia on October 29, 2015, 10:37:02 PM

;D ;D ;D Yes, Vader AND me!
Looks great!

WAS

Populations look great! If I'm not mistaken, there is a way to use a projection camera for populations?

Ariel DK

just updated this thread, because I don't want somebody to think he's dead. I still working on this...

Quote from: Hannes on October 30, 2015, 02:51:34 AM
Quote from: Ariel DKMultimedia on October 29, 2015, 10:37:02 PM

;D ;D ;D Yes, Vader AND me!
Looks great!

;D ;) thanks

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 30, 2015, 04:06:17 PM
Populations look great! If I'm not mistaken, there is a way to use a projection camera for populations?

hi WASasquatch, i don't know what do you refer with "projection camera for populations", the most similar thing that I know is "Clip Camera", a little orientation here is welcome (sorry for my ignorance) ;)

Meanwhile, I leave this render to enjoy...