The Plant Factory trees into Terragen

Started by zaxxon, October 28, 2015, 11:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Some more tweaking with the material settings of the Oak trees. The specularity and translucency levels are more than twice what I've used in the ST assets, but essentially it's just the .obj format for each. Originally  this started as a 'test' image, but it sort of 'grew'  ;) into a composition piece with trees.  Not sure that these are the final settings for this particular object, but I'll try a different TPF model and see what gives with the asset settings in it.

It's always fun to compare two different apps that basically produce the same things. While both ST and TPF create excellent trees, they have a very different feel in doing so. ST feels more like sculpting, TPF more like machining. ST is a very mature product and was designed as an 'artists' tool from the outset, TPF is only in it's second iteration. I'm using TPF 2014 and will upgrade to 2015 in the next few days. From what I've read 2015 tilts a little more towards being more user-friendly with some major bug fixes. If any of you are considering buying a foliage generator app it will be a difficult choice. For the TG users already familiar with complex node networks TPF would be a lot more familiar, for those of us who are visually oriented and like to work directly in the viewport environment ST would be by far the best choice. However, if it is the creation of small precise plant models, then TPF would be my choice. Of course all of my comments and examples are limited by my current level of understanding of these two, very deep, apps. But at this point I'm pleased that both apps create objects that can be successfully imported into TG!

Dune

AP

Are the leaves objects? It does not look like a leaf image map along an alpha plain.

DocCharly65

Amazing! I like it very much. From the grass up to the trees ... couldn't be more realistic!

Hannes

Absolutely realistic! The only thing that imho would improve the image even more is a little color variation in the foliage of the trees.

zaxxon

Thanks for the great comments!

Chris: yeah, the leaves are bitmaps on alpha planes. I've attached two images; a wireframe,  and another render that shows the leaf detail a bit better.
Hannes: I agree. I have a couple of other trees made with varying foliage colors that are being set in another composition, some are mixed within the same tree and with different levels of leaf density.

I'm still playing with material settings. The last two renders have a specularity setting of 2 and translucency set at 3.  I do have spec maps in place, but these levels just seem all wrong. Not to mention the render time hit. The ST models settings were more in line with my normal experience; with spec at .05 to .1, and translucency between .3 and 1. Seems curious as it's just plain old .obj/.mtl for both sets of assets. But this may just be this object and it's assets, we'll see. I also intend to render some of these objects (both ST and TPF) in several other renderers. Mental Ray and VRay via fbx export into Max, and the Vue renderer as well. Curious to see how they compare. But I must say that the native TG renderer, imo, does a very nice job; and considering the trade-offs in creating environments in those other apps, is still the landscape tool of choice for me.

AP

That looks good. I usually see entire twigs and leaves on a single alpha and of course it looks very unrealistic. Can the geometry for the leave alpha be modified slightly? For example, bending and twisting along any axis?

zaxxon

Hi Chris!  Yes. TPF has a leaf setting for 'Curl', but TPF also has a nifty utility built in that allows the creation of custom leaf meshes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYKrt5sE2c8

AP

I will watch that video soon but let me understand this correctly. If you have an imported leaf color diffuse and alpha image, it will curl to adapt to the mesh plain? I have never seen this done before if it is possible.

Dune

As far as I found out, if you have a leaf plane (that logically should consist of a number of vertices), you can indeed bend it, random, but also by other means, like gravity, magnet, curl.... and the textures bend with it. The latest version even has a way to pick individual branches or leaves and manipulate them the way you want (or delete them if they're no good). VERY handy feature.

mhaze

Great stuff! Never really got into TPF and I can't afford the latest versions now.

AP

Quote from: Dune on November 03, 2015, 02:24:21 AM
As far as I found out, if you have a leaf plane (that logically should consist of a number of vertices), you can indeed bend it, random, but also by other means, like gravity, magnet, curl.... and the textures bend with it. The latest version even has a way to pick individual branches or leaves and manipulate them the way you want (or delete them if they're no good). VERY handy feature.

That is good to know. I think i had seen a video on the separate vegetation parts for manipulating which is neat.

Dune

AP

Talking back and forth between two softwares can become a bit confusing.    ;D