Requiem for a budgie

Started by Harvey Birdman, August 19, 2007, 03:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

People who haven't had a pet become a part of their lives probably won't get this; people who have had a pet bird long enough to really gain the creature's trust will understand.

Casper the bird was my little buddy. For the last 10 years as I struggled with post traumatic stress disorder and heart disease, he was my constant companion, always cheerful, happy to see me, a little speck of light. He would always whistle a greeting when I entered the room, he'd mimic my laugh (just to tease me, I swear); we'd carry on lengthy whistled conversations (I never knew what about, but he'd get pretty excited); whenever I went over to his (quite roomy) cage he'd fly to the front and hang on the bars with his head cocked to the side, chittering away. He'd chirp his head off in the morning till I brought him in my office or just gave up and went into the living room and hung out with him there.

He'd been getting increasingly feeble (he was 10, after all, about twice the average life expectancy for a budgie). His attitude never changed, but he'd sleep more and more in between spells of activity. Then suddenly yesterday morning he was very sick, and by noon he was dead.

So hoist a beer to the little blue bird tonight. He was a good soul, and my house will be a quieter and sadder place from now on.

:'(

Oshyan

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Harvey. I definitely know what it's like to lose a pet. They do become such big parts of our lives.

I'm finished with my beer intake for the evening, but I'll be sure and raise one for the little fellow tomorrow! Rest in peace.

- Oshyan

Will

Losing a pet can is defiantly hard, more so when they do become such a part of our life. When I was younger (like six) I had a similar situation except the roles were reversed. We had adapted two kittens that had been abused and one hard a small hole in his heart, causing internal bleeding. I would try to cheer him up and he would always watch me while I was in the bath tub. One day though after I had gotten out and went to bed though he remained there, I didn't realize it but he had pasted away but I like do think we went with a smile (or the feline equivalent, maybe a amused smirk?). So to Casper, Otis, and all of our pets that have became parts of our family may you rest in peace.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Get another pet.  Don't wait - my suggestion.

There's plenty of evidence, and much of my own personal experience, to clearly show the benefits of pets.  This includes physical and mental / emotional health as well. 

I'm sorry to hear about Casper.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Thanks, guys.

Don't worry, Calico - we have plenty of other critters about the place. Casper was special, though. He'd been with us longer than any of the others, since we lived in my apartment in California. We had really gotten to be buds over the years. I be bummin'.  :(

mr-miley

Harvey... not being a beer drinker I won't be hoisting any beer glasses to casper, BUT, as I type, I AM hoisting my volumous coffee cup to my lips to toast your departed avian friend and companion. To loose such a longstanding pet is horrible, even if he did stay with you far longer than was expected. He sounded a real character  ;D

Miles  :(
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Harvey Birdman

He had a toy in his cage that became the object of his affections over the years. We called it his Betty (you know the Paul Simon song - 'I can call you Betty and you can call me Al'...). So Betty had a bell on her, right? When Casper got to ... errr... banging Betty, shall we say, the little bell would be ringing away like crazy. It was hysterical.

;D

When we buried him we tied Betty to a tree branch over his grave, so when the wind blows just right the bell rings.   :( :)

mr-miley

Ahhh bless, now thats sweet  ;D Bet Casper would appreciate that.
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

latego

At least you have been spared the task to tell the vet "...put him to sleep...".