HELPPPPPP... Website hosting services

Started by TheBadger, November 11, 2015, 05:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Depending on how file storage is measured, 3GB may not be that much, although if it's *just* for your website files then it should be fine (as long as you don't intend to have a bunch of big movie files). 2GB bandwidth on the other hand is pretty meager. Weebly appears to offer "unlimited" space for less money and while there is always a limit practically speaking, it sounds like Weebly is not very strict with it. Perhaps more importantly they offer unlimited *bandwidth* as well, and again although there is probably *some* practical limit, I haven't heard of anyone being shut down because their site got too popular. If you're going to have large images, videos, and/or file downloads of any kind on your site, you'll need more bandwidth and possibly more space too.

For more inf on Weebly vs. Wix this might be helpful:
http://www.websitebuilderexpert.com/wix-vs-weebly-which-website-builder-is-better/
I personally haven't used Wix, but have used Weebly. I would honestly say that unless Weebly's templates and aesthetic just don't seem capable of matching your desired look, then it's probably the better choice for the long-term. It has better pricing and base features, it's easier to use, and you can export your site if you ever want to move away from a website builder...

As for domains, I don't personally find free domains to be that useful for a couple of reasons. First, they're generally quite cheap already, about $10-12 (e.g. from Namecheap), though it depends on what TLD you use (e.g. .com vs. .org vs. .us). Second, and perhaps most importantly, most web hosts that offer "free" domains then charge you *more* than a stand-alone domain registrar would when you need to renew. In the case of Weebly it's $19.99 for what would otherwise probably be $10-12, as I said. Finally, it is sometimes helpful to have your domain and web host separate. In the past this has often been because the web host will impose certain restrictions or make it difficult to transfer to another host or registrar in the future (and this is the very reason some shadier hosts offer "free" domains). But even when that doesn't happen (and with more reputable companies like Weebly and Wix it should not be an issue, I would think, though I can't speak from experience), it's still nice to have separate control of your domain. It allows greater flexibility and power, primarily. And it's not a lot to pay to get that capability, along with independence from your web host should you ever choose to change hosts or anything else.

As for your hosting Ulco, you probably don't get a web design tool like Weebly/Wix with the space and bandwidth at that price. The higher prices of Weebly/Wix are primarily due to their WYSIWYG editor technology.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Thank you!
I Have been using wix and making mockups from there various templates. I will also do the same with weebly.

I am going through it all with your posts as a sorta guide to focus. I think that I definitely do not want a domain that has wix or weebly in in the address, does not seam pro at all. I will have to get a real one.

Cramming a ton of stuff this week. reminds me of finals in college. I hate it, but i guess that is how I am. ;D

It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Both Wix and Weebly work fine with domains registered with other providers, such as Namecheap (which I recommend). So you could have TheTerragenBadger.com or whatever, but build the site with Wix/Weebly.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

It all worked, Oshyan. Thank you
Namecheap was fast and easier than I thought it would be.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan