Have a look

Started by Kadri, November 19, 2015, 03:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

This is a 8k image by Farkas Ekho Zsolt.

Michael (Thebadger) you might find this interesting probably :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8j6xxohxtkrj31y/caviusmaximus_8k.jpg?dl=0

archonforest

Holly cow this is fantastic!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

I do! And thank you.
8)

There is a lot of detail in that. I hope they had some nice tools to get some of the elements done. Looks like a LOT of work.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

He uses Lightwave.Not sure about other software Michael.

Dune

Unbelievable, that sure is a lot of work. You can look for hours at all the little details. Too bad though, that the natural terrain itself is not very good.

Kadri

In Facebook he said this:

"Actually.. in... 16K :) Rendertime was 5 hours, plus i cached the GI before, that took 4 hours. Setup: nothing special: dp sun, sunsky atmo, realfog and instances.. LOT OF INSTANCES"

"The basic modeling was pretty fast ( a couple of days total), but refining + texturing... that took almost 3 weeks. So let's say a month. But obviously i made this beside my daily work. I'll calculate the working hours later, but right now i need a big cup of coffee :) "

It is only Lightwave as it looks. But yeah a little touch of like Terragen would be nice too.

TheBadger

Quote"The basic modeling was pretty fast ( a couple of days total), but refining + texturing... that took almost 3 weeks. So let's say a month

Yes. Oh how I have learned about this. >:( I can model lots in a few hours, but making it not suck can take days, even weeks. And not sucking is the important part. Not to mention UVs and having any hope of being renderable. And then to start texturing

But he has the benefit to render where he models. If he was planing on going to TG it would take longer! When he says that it did not take too long to create the models them selves, from that I can guess the detail is mostly bump, via normal maps. Which is standard. For me, I want to render in TG. This just makes everything so much harder. Because I can't just follow tuts and stuff I find on line. I have to learn and know all the un-standard things about TG.

I know that PlanetSide is working to bridge the gap between how models work in standard packages and TG though. SO that will be good.

On the other hand, one great thing about TG, is that I can do all real geometry, which I am in a few models (which also makes modeling & texturing take longer). So while I can't use the standard normal maps, I can use 100 percent real geometry for perfect 1:1 representation of the subject rather than an illusion of the reality via bump, This means I can get from very far to very up close using the same model at film resolution. IN TG I can have a population of 1million polygon objects, this is not going to happen in a lot of other soft.

If I was smarter and less stubborn, I would export my terrain and render in mental ray, rather than exporting to TG. But I am stubborn, and I do like TG. It lacks stuff, but what it has is easier to understand and work with. And TG is heads above the rest on atmo and light for large scale scenes.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

It is mostly about atmosphere lighting because i use Terragen too Michael.

This image is not much suited for closeup. In that aspect it is normal that your work takes much longer.

Dune

Tangled-Universe

Now that is really awesome Ulco :)
Thanks for sharing this!

AP

I will admit, that is quite impressive.    8)

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Kadri

Ulco i liked that image.
But i had some of the same reservations that he answered below at that link.
It looks great but for a 3D image it feels like that he wasted a little time for the small 3D effect he got. But still a nice project of course.

Dune

Agreed. At first I thought it was all really 3D, but the painting was projected from the front, kind of.