Water level change undo affects planet position (and maybe other things)

Started by rajm, November 15, 2015, 11:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajm

With the attached terragen 3 file, if I load it and going to the Water area and select Lake 01. If I then change the water level by clicking the up button, that takes the level to 531, I decided that was a bit deep and from the edit menu select Undo to revert that change. The 3d preview goes black but the change appears to have been reverted, the level is back at 331. If you do a render the render matches the preview, everything's vanished! Then if you tilt the camera down you'll see that the planet is rather far away.

If you put the level back to 331 using the down arrow rather than undo the behaviour is a lot more sensible. Maybe there's something strange in the rest of my model but the behaviour is a little unexpected and hard to put back (except by reverting to the saved copy). I tried replicating with a starting from scratch approach but so far haven't got the bug to appear.

Terragen 3.3.04.0

rajm

Here's a greatly simplified version of that network (an earlier version from which I then deleted lots of things) which exhibits the same problem

Dune

To be honest I hardly use the undo button, as it not always does what I want it to do. But testing your file, I found that using the undo history is a better choice. Just check the entry before the change you want to delete and click the bottom button. Then the water level goes back to the one before.

rajm

Interesting! Though it appears that you have to fiddle with the camera position to get that approach to work.

If you just load my network and adjust (say) the sunlight and then the lake level and then try to go back in the undo history to the sunlight alteration you get the same problem. If you load the network adjust the camera, alter the sunlight and then the lake and go back to the sunlight change again it loses the camera position.

If however you load the network  and repeat that sequence of 3 operations and then go back in undo to the first item (the camera move) you get sensible results!

Dune

Well, fiddling the camera position was not important at all, I just wanted to have a better look. And it can only revert in the order you altered things.

rajm

Fiddling the camera may not be important but it appears to be vital to get undo on that file and edit sequence to work correctly. If you don't undo back to a camera relocation point undo doesn't work!

Dune

I think I know what you mean, if you mean the following: you need at least one (insignificant) change before water level change, because you can't get back to the startup state of the file, as you can't select the non-existing state before the first. The only option then would be to reopen without saving, which of course is fine.
Anyway, I don't usually use these options.

rajm

I think we're both wrong!

In all cases that I've tried whether by a straight undo or selecting an element of the undo history there is an error. The lake level is set correctly but the camera position changes to something wildly out. If you undo back to a camera position change (using the history) it doesn't appear that anything has gone wrong (looking at the 3d preview)but if you do a render (I checked the Quick one) you will see that a completely black image is produced!

Dune

Well, I don't get what you get, apparantly.

rajm

That's very strange. I've tried the same file on 2 different machines (Vista and Ubuntu/Wine both with the latest terragen 3) and see my problem in all cases. I repeated your sequence of edits and get a black 3d preview.

Not sure what the difference can be, I looked in terragen->preferences but couldn't see anything likely there. Are you ever seeing my problem even if you use the basic undo?

Dune

No, I don't, just tested. You'd better report this maybe. I can't help you anymore than this, but Matt or Oshyan might know.

rajm

OK, I thought they watched here but I'll send an email to support