Fractal procedural erosion shader public beta

Started by Daniil, November 15, 2015, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

What about position based area? From looking at earth mountains and gorges, etc, this shader is only really appropriate for larger peaks and mountain ranges. A lot of the other terrain can be PF/Alpine/Nods based. Then you could apply the shader to mountain ranges on a planet.

That way you can keep overall size down and erode noticeable peaks and areas rather then trying to cover the entire planet.

AP

The shader input for the mountains can be used as a mask and therefore limiting it to the mountains only. Everything else apart from that would be unaffected by the Erosion.

Covering a planetary scale is still important to have the overall patterns for the mid ranges, foot hills and smaller hills including river networks that drain into lakes and oceans.

WAS

Well, I noticed something weird, when I edit the settings under the Settings Tab, nothing changes. So much so that the Render Preview isn't even triggered to reload.  The effects can be seen in the full render, but the preview tab doesn't seem to be picking up these changes until a reset.

Oshyan

That may be true, but sometimes with the erosion shader in particular there is so much "precalculation" to do before the preview shows up (and there is no progress bar for it), that it may *appear* to just be sitting there. It's similar to how the render process "just sits there" for a while too when using erosion, in some cases. If this happens again try waiting for something like 4-5 minutes and see if the preview still doesn't update.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on November 15, 2015, 03:02:27 PM
hehe..simple dual core not really running it well... :D

Guess that's my problem here...sigh...time to upgrade my confuser I think.....right after my new furnace.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on November 26, 2015, 12:29:43 AM
That may be true, but sometimes with the erosion shader in particular there is so much "precalculation" to do before the preview shows up (and there is no progress bar for it), that it may *appear* to just be sitting there. It's similar to how the render process "just sits there" for a while too when using erosion, in some cases. If this happens again try waiting for something like 4-5 minutes and see if the preview still doesn't update.

- Oshyan

Normally I'd be like "alright, that makes sense" but I purpsely did a 2m test mound which loaded the initial shader and settings instantly. I could start the render to view the changes, and there was no initial lag there either because of the effected area.

AP

Question. Has anyone figured out what the ideal settings are to minimize the erosion as a whole at a point where it is still there but very limited in effect. I'm assuming it's the rock removal.

Dune

Mask/blend it by a constant color of 0.1 was my way.

AP

I did a mask with a Constant scalar, wrong function. So i'll try the Constant color.

WAS

Thanks for that info. I was wondering how to do this too. I was masking by displacement scaler trying to use a colour adjust to get what I want eroded to be eroded, but it seems the function doesn't follow the masks exactly on a B/W scale.

johnsta

Hi I cant see the shader anywhere in the list

Im using a mac TG3.3 and I created a "plugin" folder for the x64 version any thoughts?

Thanks

John

Dune

In windows TG automatically has a plugin folder, but as long as you have copied the unzipped plugin there it should work, I guess. If you create a new shader (rightclick in node area), go to displacement shaders; it's right there on top.

Dune

In the plugin folder should be file called 'dkerosion.tgp'. Calling it from the node area looks like this:

johnsta

Not feeling the love I placed it in three locations tried single instances too with each location it must be an osx issue?