High Density RAM for Terragen

Started by WAS, November 21, 2015, 06:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

My board, a p45, is supposedly compatible with High Density RAM (though the manual on says to pair the same density DIMMs with the DIMM slots, about as far as it goes into detail) but many say the p45 was the first board to accept both low and high density DIMMs.

My question is, I ordered 8GB High Density (AMD Only! haha ancient history) RAM, but am questioning if it will make any impact on Terragen's performance? It should be running at the same 800mhz and 6-6-6-15 timing from what the specs say, which is what my 4GB RAM is currently running at.

This is my first time experimenting with this under-informed field of High vs Low Density RAM. If it's any more info for you all, it is unbuffered.

Oshyan

RAM performance has a pretty minimal impact on Terragen render performance *in general*. And the only things that ultimately should have any effect at all (however small) are bandwidth (generally indicated roughly by clock speed in Mhz, given you're comparing with the same *type* of memory, e.g. DDR2, and not comparing that with DDR3 for example), and latency, with the latter having a vanishly small impact that is probably all but imeasurable with the other variables involved (e.g. CPU speed, background tasks, etc.). Memory *speed* is probably one of the last factors you want to worry about when trying to optimize your hardware for Terragen performance.

All that is to say, then, that as long as the clock speed and timings (latency) of the memory you are considering are the same, the performance should also be the same. Having *more* memory will help a lot though, not necessarily in performance (although with more complex scenes it *can* have a notable impact, especially when your computer otherwise has to swap to disk), but certainly with the ability you have to make complex scenes.

- Oshyan

WAS

Cool thanks for the info. Would love to get parts form AM3+ board and get some nice higher speed DDR3.  I can't even play Fallout 4 cause of my 4GB RAM. I figured with low settings it would be fine, especially considering there are quite a few videos of it running on 4GB RAM. Alas, they are all running DDR3 setups, and I have 800mhz DDR2. People keep saying the slowdown is my graphics card but I can't help but laugh. The game is still running Gamebryno or w/e from 2001. Very low end. The only thing making it high end are 4K textures and directional lighting and shadows. Easily disabled/turned down.