Happy Thanksgiving!

Started by WAS, November 26, 2015, 11:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Happy Thanksgiving everyone taking part, and a joyous start to the Holidays for everyone else!

Mmm I'm stuffed, time to play in my favorite application.  :)

Happy Holidays!

Oshyan

Happy Thanksgiving! I had a great day with friends. Much to be thankful for. I hope you all enjoyed the holiday!

- Oshyan

Upon Infinity

We had ours 6 weeks ago.  Maybe I live in the future?  :o

TheBadger

Its not the Holiday Dinner. Its the Leftovers.
It has been eaten.

PabloMack

Somehow I came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbJR4TI7F-U

I'm American and I have some of the same gripes about American traditions such as:

1.  Making sweet potatoes even sweeter (yuk!). I finally found that I actually like them once I tasted them without gobs of brown sugar, honey or marsh mallows. Just butter and sour cream.
2.  Putting cranberry sauce right on top of your turkey (yuk!). A great way to spoil the flavor of good meat.

AP

That is disgusting. Sweet potatoes with some real melted butter is good enough. Leave the Cranberry Sauce by itself and keep it real, none of that Ocean Spray brand with high fructose corn syrup.

PabloMack

archonforest

Quote from: Chris on November 30, 2015, 06:11:39 PM
That is disgusting. Sweet potatoes with some real melted butter is good enough. Leave the Cranberry Sauce by itself and keep it real, none of that Ocean Spray brand with high fructose corn syrup.

For some reason Americans like to put sugar on almost everything. I lived in the US for 4-5 years and it was hard to find something without a ton of sugar in it.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

AP

Without a doubt, but it can be a lifestyle choice. It certainly does not help with the obesity epidemic and whole host of other issues associated with it like diabetes and dehydration. 

PabloMack

I think the other issue isn't driven by consumers but food producers. Something like 80% of the food in the US is produced by five mega-companies that have product development departments that are driven by sales. If the very few on their respective teams decide that more sugar will increase sales they will turn some dials and 100M people will just eat what's coming out of the extruder. Another problem is marketing. In order to label something "low carb" they increase the fat and in order to label something "low fat" they increase the carbs and that means lots of sugar. To make "low fat" salad dressing they replace the fat with corn syrup. I've stopped buying anything that is labeled "non-fat" because I don't want to eat what they have substituted for the fat. The stupid (or is it just "evil"?) marketers are putting "gluten free" on such things as beef, butter, eggs and all sorts of products that never had any gluten in them thinking that they can dupe the average zombie shopper into thinking it must be healthy. It is disgusting.

WAS

Quote from: PabloMack on December 03, 2015, 04:08:40 PM
I think the other issue isn't driven by consumers but food producers. Something like 80% of the food in the US is produced by five mega-companies that have product development departments that are driven by sales. If the very few on their respective teams decide that more sugar will increase sales they will turn some dials and 100M people will just eat what's coming out of the extruder. Another problem is marketing. In order to label something "low carb" they increase the fat and in order to label something "low fat" they increase the carbs and that means lots of sugar. To make "low fat" salad dressing they replace the fat with corn syrup. I've stopped buying anything that is labeled "non-fat" because I don't want to eat what they have substituted for the fat. The stupid (or is it just "evil"?) marketers are putting "gluten free" on such things as beef, butter, eggs and all sorts of products that never had any gluten in them thinking that they can dupe the average zombie shopper into thinking it must be healthy. It is disgusting.

Stereotypes are fun. Haha America, and even the North American continent is not the most obese. Australia ranks number one, and I think next is Asia. US has far to many poor and homeless people to be ontop of anything right now.

I tend to look at actual facts rather then the media propaganda. And when it comes to food health, America is not the best, but no where near the worse. A lot of countries which like to gripe about America live in countries where food companies don't even disclose production methods. Lol Now THAT, is scary. Where processing plants are treated like Government agencies.

AP

I thought Mexico was the most obese? Perhaps that changed now.

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 04, 2015, 12:16:11 AM
I thought Mexico was the most obese? Perhaps that changed now.

Someone mentioned that earlier, maybe that *is* the case now.