Canyon Wall Displacement (Collaborative Challenge)

Started by WAS, November 28, 2015, 04:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Dune

@archonforest: rotating has nothing to do with the blues, you can just use an ordinary transform shader, rotate X(Y)Z by 90ยบ and merge that with the original (or add as child for 50% or so, lots of ways). Now if you mask that by some vertical billow you may get interesting shapes, where the squares only appear where the billows are and you have some smoother gullies left over, which give the appearance of erosion. Just play with it.
By the way; the same principle goes for mogn's square blues setup from a while ago, though that's a little more nodes, but also more variation.

AP

Quote from: dandelO on December 02, 2015, 10:08:59 AM
Maybe some hints on rescaling the noise like that in this thread called 'Rescale Noise', Chris... ;)
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,12144.msg122162.html#msg122162

Alright, that looks like it has potential. As long as we can re-scale along a slope then it's one step closer to one part of this dilemma solved.   

Dune

Okay, simple addition to Jon's Blues, for Archonforest (and others).

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hetzen

Nice work Ulco.

I had a quick go at creating a Canyon lands base shape. It's a bit rough, but there maybe some interesting things in there for people to use.

Also posted a quick render with Ulco's base method and the above scene, but I didn't like the regularity of the displacement bands those blues give, so will work on something to break that up.

Hetzen

AP

I think i may have an idea using blend modes to lateral fractal colors.

Hetzen

Quote from: Chris on December 03, 2015, 06:03:51 PM

Cool, post your tests. I used a colour adjust to temper the blacks to multiply a colour fractal in the second image.

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 03, 2015, 06:03:51 PM

This is getting intense. I have a setup which is just gorgeous looking, I think. But with my detail/aa limitations I am not sure 100% or if the small scale anomalies I see are just quality or displacement.

From what I am looking at it is just really nice looking, even if not 100%. Only thing I wish there was more of on this new setup combining our ideas is smaller details. I think that's easily added with just a PF honestly though.

AP

Soon, i am still testing the martian flake stones. Rendering takes a while but this is next on my to do list.

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 04, 2015, 12:04:57 AM
Soon, i am still testing the martian flake stones. Rendering takes a while but this is next on my to do list.

My test was not as I anticipated on a larger scale formation... little upset Haha. Back to the drawing board.

Dune

The laterals you use, Jon, are too rounded, IMHO; I've used the same squares for those, but smaller.

AP

Sort of related but i am weighing in all options to be explored. It still needs work in the spiky small scale displacements.

AP

A simple strata slope reduction test but it would be better served to have a more even noise gap for the octaves.