Ejecta challenge

Started by Dune, November 12, 2015, 02:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Here's a nice crater with directional ejecta you could visit in Canada. :D (I wish I could at least)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingualuit_crater

Hetzen

If you put a colour adjust shader after the warp shader on the ejecta mask in my previous set up, you should be able to raise the black input level which will 'pull back' the edges you're seeing. You may want to lower the white level to compensate the 'pull back' on the ejecta shape, maybe a little gamma adjustment too.

You may have to reduce the crater size and increase the scale to get this all to marry up.

The same technique could be used just before the crater displacement shader if your displacement is forming these cell edges.

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on November 23, 2015, 07:30:22 AM
If you put a colour adjust shader after the warp shader on the ejecta mask in my previous set up, you should be able to raise the black input level which will 'pull back' the edges you're seeing. You may want to lower the white level to compensate the 'pull back' on the ejecta shape, maybe a little gamma adjustment too.

You may have to reduce the crater size and increase the scale to get this all to marry up.

The same technique could be used just before the crater displacement shader if your displacement is forming these cell edges.

Yeah, the adjustment is now grey-scale and through a colour adjust shader to create a mask for ejecta displacement. The visual preview shows the mask should only be around craters, however it is global despite there being no visiable detail to create it anywhere else but the craters. So something else is interfering with the setup. It's acting as though there are parts of the mask there that aren't there. I even tried using the Colour Adjust to create a absolute black  and absolute white on the craters, and it was still global. Its as though despite being converted to greyscale, the scalar from the original texture is still passing through and creating displacement where it has been removed.

AP

I'm sill going to tackle this but it should be easy now using inverted erosion along a soft outer mask for the crater.

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 05, 2015, 02:41:46 AM
I'm sill going to tackle this but it should be easy now using inverted erosion along a soft outer mask for the crater.

I think it may work better when the erosion shader has a update. Currently it's floor model may make erosion way to soft.