Import Bryce scenes to Terragen and/or import pictures (tiff or jpg ) to Terrage

Started by astronut80920, December 11, 2015, 06:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astronut80920

I just spent a month or so learning to use Bryce 7.1, but decided I was not happy with the render results.  They looked too cartoony to me and because I am an avid landscape photographer, I want a renderer that renders good landscape scenes.  Enter Terragen.  I downloaded Terragen Free to try it out and it took me probably one hour to fall in love with it, wonderful renders!!!  My main  reason to use a scene renderer is 1-landscapes and 2-outer space scenes.  Terragen fills the bill for #1 nicely.  Bryce has plugins that I can use to create space backgrounds like nebulae, stars, etc.

First question: Can I import scenes like these from Bryce into Terragen.  I did find a tutorial on the Bryce page, but it didn't work , it said it needed a plugin called "for export only" but I couldn't find it and it looked complicated.  Is there  a way to do this?

Second question:  If #1 can't work, how about the ability to import space pics (Tiff or Jpeg) into Terragen and then using them as backgrounds in scenes?

Thanks,

Jim L.

Kadri

If you can export objects and image files that are usable in the format that Terragen imports the answer is yes for both of your questions.
Obj export is mostly present in every 3D program. Terragen can import those files.

Have a look here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/bryce/reference/fm_exportobj

http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Terragen_Import-Export_Reference

I don't use Bryce maybe you will get better answers from others.

bobbystahr

Quote from: astronut80920 on December 11, 2015, 06:50:22 PM
I just spent a month or so learning to use Bryce 7.1, but decided I was not happy with the render results.  They looked too cartoony to me and because I am an avid landscape photographer, I want a renderer that renders good landscape scenes.  Enter Terragen.  I downloaded Terragen Free to try it out and it took me probably one hour to fall in love with it, wonderful renders!!!  My main  reason to use a scene renderer is 1-landscapes and 2-outer space scenes.  Terragen fills the bill for #1 nicely.  Bryce has plugins that I can use to create space backgrounds like nebulae, stars, etc.

First question: Can I import scenes like these from Bryce into Terragen.  I did find a tutorial on the Bryce page, but it didn't work , it said it needed a plugin called "for export only" but I couldn't find it and it looked complicated.  Is there  a way to do this?

Second question:  If #1 can't work, how about the ability to import space pics (Tiff or Jpeg) into Terragen and then using them as backgrounds in scenes?

Thanks,

Jim L.

as a sometimes Byrce user/ex Mod I can confirm stuff exported as .obj works quite well in TG2_3+. That for export only plug in it for Terragen Classic I do believe. For space backgrounds, they can be mapped to the Background object. Search Background + mapping for more info on that, TG uses XFROG veg well and if you go to their site and type samples you'll get a whole page for your landscapes. More questions just ask or use the search which turns up all kinds of useful stuff
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 11, 2015, 08:21:22 PM

Thanks,

Jim L.

as a sometimes Byrce user/ex Mod I can confirm stuff exported as .obj works quite well in TG2_3+. That for export only plug in it for Terragen Classic I do believe. For space backgrounds, they can be mapped to the Background object. Search Background + mapping for more info on that, TG uses XFROG veg well and if you go to their site and type samples you'll get a whole page for your landscapes. More questions just ask or use the search which turns up all kinds of useful stuff

Have you tried to blend in a, lets say, mountain, with existing terrain in TG? Is that a lot of work is there a relatively easy approach. I remember this being discussed with a rock-face like object and mountain terrain but can't find the topic off hand.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 11, 2015, 08:41:59 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on December 11, 2015, 08:21:22 PM

Have you tried to blend in a, lets say, mountain, with existing terrain in TG? Is that a lot of work is there a relatively easy approach. I remember this being discussed with a rock-face like object and mountain terrain but can't find the topic off hand.

In all honesty no because it's easier to export a top down view from bryce as a greyscale heightfield and use that in TG and that works well
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

As far as I can remember you can export greyscale images from the terrain
editor/generator in Bryce.And then use these as terrain in TG or via image
map shader.Read up in the Bryce manual,it's there.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on December 12, 2015, 12:03:02 PM
As far as I can remember you can export greyscale images from the terrain
editor/generator in Bryce.And then use these as terrain in TG or via image
map shader.Read up in the Bryce manual,it's there.

Yup, that's what I was on about but it's been a while since I did that...thanks for catching my post up Jochen
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New