Terragen 4 is in Development!

Started by Oshyan, December 11, 2015, 06:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Print screen to screen capture? I know it is crude but it could be a minor solution.

Dune

Good to see it in realtime, Oshyan  ;) This is really an enormous step forward!

sjefen

I have a question. I don't have Terragen before me right now, so I don't remember the name of this option, but a while back you added this extra feature to the GI settings that can strengthen the shadow and the bright areas. GI light bounce or something.
This looks to be added when the rendering is finished. Sometimes I can see that I wished I used a stronger or weaker effect, but it's not so cool to start the whole rendering from the beginning. Would it be possible to have a feature that can control this when the image is done without rendering the whole image again?
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: sjefen on February 15, 2016, 03:49:27 PM
I have a question. I don't have Terragen before me right now, so I don't remember the name of this option, but a while back you added this extra feature to the GI settings that can strengthen the shadow and the bright areas. GI light bounce or something.
This looks to be added when the rendering is finished. Sometimes I can see that I wished I used a stronger or weaker effect, but it's not so cool to start the whole rendering from the beginning. Would it be possible to have a feature that can control this when the image is done without rendering the whole image again?

You're referring to the new GISD (GI Surface Details).

Actually, at render time already some of the GISD is applied (of course only when GISD is enabled).
I don't know why and if it's intrinsically necessary for the implementation to do that. Only Matt knows.

I support your idea though. Very much, actually.
I have a bit of concern about the feasibility though, because it will probably mean a lot of info needs to be stored in memory.

sjefen

GI surface details is exactly what I'm referring to.
Thank you ;)
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

lat 64

I'm going to give up beer for a week so I can afford to buy this when it's out!

I'm a half century plus ten yrs old. Yikes!

Hannes

TheBadger

Quote from: Oshyan on February 12, 2016, 01:56:09 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, check out the Ray-traced Preview demo video Part 2: http://terragen4.com/ray-traced-realtime-preview-part-2/
Just posted today. :)

- Oshyan

Was getting existed about the forth coming release again, and came back to this thread to look again. Was curious if there will be any difference in the improved ray tracing from what is shown in the link quoted, and if those shadows were created by an object (say imported buildings or something) rather than the terrain and clouds. Hope that question makes sense.

Also, Holy crap again! Those new images in the new link are very cool! this is getting better and better. If my system can run it any place close to the demo, 3D will be fun again.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

I'm actually not sure what your question is Badger. The video is all about the realtime ray-traced preview, not final rendering. Shadows can be cast by terrain geometry or imported objects, both work well.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

QuoteShadows can be cast by terrain geometry or imported objects, both work well.

Ah, good. it looked good to me, and I was just curious if it would look the same with objects is all. To tell you the truth, I am very happy about what I am seeing here. For one, I spend much more time looking at the preview then renders, so the better the preview the nicer it is for me.

Really it looks like I will have to render much less to know where I am with TG4, so thats great. I loath doing test renders just to check simple things, and the update looks like a complete fix for that.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Yes, that's exactly what it does for you Badger. The work process is now much faster and smoother with the responsive preview. It's quite a big shift.

- Oshyan

mundus

Quote from: Oshyan on April 02, 2016, 07:48:04 PM
Yes, that's exactly what it does for you Badger. The work process is now much faster and smoother with the responsive preview. It's quite a big shift.

- Oshyan

Hi Oshyan,

In the comments of the Ray Trace Preview Part 1 video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjufUZp6cTA), Planetside states that the demo was done on a Dual E5-2630 v3 @ 2.4GHz. That's a total of 76.8 Ghz. Would my i7 5930K OC 4Ghz, total @ 48Ghz give around 50-60% the performance shown in the video?

Cheers

KyL

Don't worry, it will be fine.  ::)

I have an i7 4770K at 4.3GHz and it is as fast as in the video. CPU frequency plays a big role here!

Cheers!

AP

Has anyone had an opportunity to look at Luc Bianco's Terragen 4 cloud test page at his web site? The top image shows very well the overblown sun glare, cloud highlights AKA silver lining and multiple light scattering from that particular angle. Along the bottom parts of the clouds in the shadows there are particular details that are of interest as well.

Dune

Especially the backlit clouds are really nice. It takes some getting used to the new clouds, but they are a major step forward. Haven't had much time to experiment myself, though.