light and shadow on object

Started by Dune, December 14, 2015, 12:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Ulco - look at this please:
         http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19091.msg194865.html#msg194865
         Maybe it is something similar here.

Dune

I guess that's it, Jochen, no normals. Still strange it renders ok then.
Anyway, with some effort I managed to put branches to Michael's trunk. Working/modding from a base ST trunk (which will later be deleted) and keeping the branch intersections like they are would work a lot faster, but I can't complain about the result of this test. Even exporting from ST worked, though I had to open in LW to flip normals, then open in Poseray to recalculate the normals. But it works.
Now for better leaves...

I am careful, Bobby, don't want to step on toes.

j meyer

No normals is just a problem - rendering wise - when you have a low poly
mesh,because it looks facetted then.So here you would only notice in
close ups.
Nice result nonetheless. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 19, 2015, 12:08:05 PM
I am careful, Bobby, don't want to step on toes.

Always good practice...only stuff I have shared that I didn't create I went to the owner and got his permission to .tgo them, and Drew Costigan willingly, as most would, said yes. Most are flattered that you're interested and pleased to share to new formats. It was those flowers I posted at ashundar way back.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 19, 2015, 12:08:05 PM
I guess that's it, Jochen, no normals. Still strange it renders ok then.
Anyway, with some effort I managed to put branches to Michael's trunk. Working/modding from a base ST trunk (which will later be deleted) and keeping the branch intersections like they are would work a lot faster, but I can't complain about the result of this test. Even exporting from ST worked, though I had to open in LW to flip normals, then open in Poseray to recalculate the normals. But it works.
Now for better leaves...

quite amazingly massive and ancient looking...well done Badger and Dune
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Is this haze look just from the leaves you are working on or translucency? It looks weird considering the contrast of the shadow on the trunk.

Dune

I think they're just coincidental areas where translucency of the leaves add to the greyness of branches at those points. Leaves are not optimal anyway, yet. To make a tree less heavy you can use whole branches+leaves, but that is obviously harder to make realistic.  I think in this one it's a combination of single leaves and branches+leaves. The first branches+leaves I made where done in ST, but with translucency settings on the whole thing the branches got translucent as well, so I made a new translucency mask for the leaves only. But as said, the leaves areas need work, aiming for a good compromise between MB's and reality. I don't want trees of hundreds of MB's, really, but it's possible of course for close-ups.

mhaze

Very impressive work Dune - Sadly I don't have the tools to emulate your workflow :-\

Dune

Thanks Mick.

I tried another one, which I quite like. Only 'problem' is to keep the texture more or less okay. Too much sculpting and it gets stretched too much. I don't like remapping such complicated meshes.

bobbystahr

whew, pretty impressive work...I need a new hammer.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Tried to make one piece out of a few, but that didn't work as expected.

And a new one, in a collaborative project with Jochen.

bobbystahr

Wow, nice work. You two work well together...very nice leaves as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

So,
first is to box model the trunk. Then you send that to mud to retopo to perfect quads. Then back to modeler to correct any stray edges. Then you map, then you send to sculp.

There then should be no need to map again. In a mud maya workflow, you simply update the models with "send to", although I have been hitting memory limits because this works back and forth with FBX. But is doesn't mater really how much change you make to the model when sculpting within certain limits.

Or you can send maps alone and displace the base model. Which is how you would do it in Maya if rendering there.
It has been eaten.

Dune

I'd prefer to keep the mapping from ST, as remapping is tedious (for my limited modeling knowledge), so now it's ST>LW(separate trunk)>MUD>LW (replace trunk)>PR>TG.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on December 23, 2015, 06:17:14 AM
I'd prefer to keep the mapping from ST, as remapping is tedious (for my limited modeling knowledge), so now it's ST>LW(separate trunk)>MUD>LW (replace trunk)>PR>TG.

And yet still the vast majority of VFX companies and artists oppose strongly to standardization of all kinds of 3D data types  ::)
Ludicrous.