light and shadow on object

Started by Dune, December 14, 2015, 12:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 26, 2015, 02:26:06 AM
Thanks, Oshyan. It's unfortunate the 'real olives' can't be hung in whole trees. Well, they can, but MB's soar to much above 100MB.
This latest has DOF, so no GISD. Would be great to have both.

Is that a finished product then? Great bark by the way....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

How do you mean, finished product? The olives are just small objects that you add to branches, like leaves, but as each consists of maybe 30 polys, it soon gets heavy.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on December 26, 2015, 11:53:03 AM
How do you mean, finished product? The olives are just small objects that you add to branches, like leaves, but as each consists of maybe 30 polys, it soon gets heavy.

Just a thought Ulco, if you use the parts where the olives are as an separate object you might instance the olives.
How easy or needed or not might depend on your scene.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 26, 2015, 11:53:03 AM

I think I meant the tree, not necessarily the olives.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

@Bobby: we're working on a 'perfect' workflow, so up till now every tree has it's glitches. In that sense it's not a finished 'product'. Replacing the simple trunk by an elaborate one is not too hard, but remapping still needs work.
@Kadri; that's an interesting idea, but a bit difficult perhaps, as the olives will also grow to fat branches and trunk if these are not separate objects. And they will cross leaves. For a more distant view simple flat polys with an olive texture will do quite nicely, I think. I did think of making a sitting bird, though, that can be populated into a tree, though some will sit awkwardly on their branches, no doubt.

bobbystahr

@ Ulco...gotcha...I'm enjoying watching this evolve. Reminds me of my early Amiga days when everyone was so creative and helpful. I think that's what I like best about this community/forum...it's very old school and new all at once...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

I totally agree, it's great to work together on stuff.

TheBadger

Those branches and leaves are really looking good in this last image!
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 27, 2015, 04:41:45 AM
I totally agree, it's great to work together on stuff.

In musical terms it's jamming...we did that with comix (underground style comics) back when we all worked on paper around a huge table...them were the daze indeed....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New