Object Quality / Render Settings Scripting

Started by WAS, December 16, 2015, 10:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

What you're seeing are *huge* increases in render time, relatively speaking. 5000 atmosphere samples is insane. Stop that. ;)

- Oshyan

fleetwood

I usually set final atmosphere quality to 64 samples, sometimes 128.

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on December 18, 2015, 01:03:35 AM
What you're seeing are *huge* increases in render time, relatively speaking. 5000 atmosphere samples is insane. Stop that. ;)

- Oshyan

He explained that your atmosphere model is relatively low quality and he ups it until visibly, there is no noise in the preview or final renders. He also explained some renders are beyond 10k resolution from TG where nothing but the highest atmosphere quality will rid noise.

WAS

.... I also typo'd... it's 500 atmosphere... lmao

WAS

Apologies. I'm incredibly dyslexic. Very much so carrying information over without notes like I did in school Lol

Oshyan

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 18, 2015, 02:21:49 PM

- Oshyan

He explained that your atmosphere model is relatively low quality and he ups it until visibly, there is no noise in the preview or final renders. He also explained some renders are beyond 10k resolution from TG where nothing but the highest atmosphere quality will rid noise.

Well, I guess if you trust his opinion then go with it. Sounds like he's talking a bit of nonsense to me, but I suppose I'm biased. ;)

Anyone else using settings like this or can confirm these claims? In my experience the higher the resolution the *less* need for high atmosphere samples because the noise is finer-grained (smaller pixels, relatively speaking).

- Oshyan

Kadri

I was going to write kind of the same things you wrote Oshyan until i saw his new post that the real atmo number was 500.
Even that is high but at least nothing like 5000. So the difference looks mood(?) for me at least now.

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on December 18, 2015, 02:52:41 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on December 18, 2015, 02:21:49 PM

- Oshyan

Well, I guess if you trust his opinion then go with it. Sounds like he's talking a bit of nonsense to me, but I suppose I'm biased. ;)

Anyone else using settings like this or can confirm these claims? In my experience the higher the resolution the *less* need for high atmosphere samples because the noise is finer-grained (smaller pixels, relatively speaking).

- Oshyan

Maybe he's talking about quality in regards to prints. He was mentioning last year that there was a huge wall poster done from terragen for a museum in Munich that they had trouble with because the extreme resolution paired with base quality settings.

Kadri

Ulco made some similar you know. He might have something to say about this much more then most of us probably.
Ulco?

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 18, 2015, 03:02:07 PM
Maybe he's talking about quality in regards to prints. He was mentioning last year that there was a huge wall poster done from terragen for a museum in Munich that they had trouble with because the extreme resolution paired with base quality settings.

Hmmm, has he seen Ulco's amazing museum work...he could drive there to check if he's in Munich and I'm fairly certain Ulco uses much more conserative settings than those numbers..

cross post
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

By wall print, I mean wallpaper, it's like 40 feet wide. Don't mean a like poster, it is/was part of a exhibit.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 18, 2015, 03:34:39 PM
By wall print, I mean wallpaper, it's like 40 feet wide. Don't mean a like poster, it is/was part of a exhibit.

I reiterate
https://youtu.be/o15R-FJ4x0E
show him this a bit more than 40 feet long I'd say
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Yes, he's probably talking about Ulco's work which is now featured at that scale (40ft+) in at least 1 museum in the Netherlands. Ulco would know best what issues were encountered with quality on those projects, but you can imagine that the resolution requirements there were *very* high. Again I don't think anything was so much an issue of "more samples for higher resolution", it's just that high resolution renders take a long time. And the mention of "base quality settings" is interesting too because the base is *16 samples* for atmosphere. 500 is more than 30 times the base setting, which is pretty insane really. I could understand 64 samples, maybe 128 in a really extreme atmosphere setting (and yes some people have felt it necessary to use even higher settings in very specific circumstances, but these are very rare). I'm certainly interested in hearing more about the real need for such settings though.

- Oshyan

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on December 18, 2015, 03:39:14 PM
... I could understand 64 samples, maybe 128 in a really extreme atmosphere setting (and yes some people have felt it necessary to use even higher settings in very specific circumstances, but these are very rare). I'm certainly interested in hearing more about the real need for such settings though.

It is hard for me too to see that.
Because what i mostly need regarding atmo problems was more related with AA render settings,render detail and cloud quality.
I did not see any need for more the 100-200 atmo details.
Actually i would like to test that scene out of curiosity to see what the problem was.