Oasis

Started by mhaze, December 21, 2015, 04:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Started as a study of soft min and soft max. Adding erosion turned the image inside out, hills becoming hollows and the oasis idea came about.  Explored some new ideas for rocks and improved my texturing.  I had problems masking the erosion and inverting it caused the render to slow down to maybe a thousand years! not sure why, maybe something to do with the soft min/max.

Dune

That is pretty weird, and this illustrates the nice thing about TG; you can come across happy accidents and learn from them by experimenting.

mhaze

I think basically the erosion was too strong and eroded away the hills completly which gave the dips in the landscape but I can't work out why the masking was so odd.

Lady of the Lake

I really like this.

mhaze

TheBadger

Wasteland! I like it.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Nice one, I've stopped messing with erosion as I don't have the system to handle it. everything starts running at Amiga speed....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

If you lower the octaves, it's faster. For a final you can up the octaves again. It's also faster if you mask by a not too large soft simple shape area. Makes exploring easier on slower machines.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 25, 2015, 02:18:24 AM
If you lower the octaves, it's faster. For a final you can up the octaves again. It's also faster if you mask by a not too large soft simple shape area. Makes exploring easier on slower machines.

Left the octaves at 4 and I tried the sss trick but my machine is pitiful...this intel cpu is no where near as good as my amd was I'll tell'ya...time to find cash for a new box or I'll not be able to run TG4 when it drops....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

Cool Wasteland!

I'm not sure if I had similar performance problems with my erosion experiments in the snow-picture. But in my case it could also have been the icy water (6 H Rendertimes for 1280x720 AA 4 and detail 0.4)

mhaze

mhaze

DannyG

This is very cool looking
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

mhaze