Threads rendu ?

Started by bla bla 2, December 21, 2015, 11:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bla bla 2

Hi, I like know if, I can modified the "threads" ?
Or, he's caution of not touch to this setting ?

WAS

Quote from: bla bla 2 on December 21, 2015, 11:53:12 AM
Hi, I like know if, I can modified the "threads" ?
Or, he's caution of not touch to this setting ?

I've read a lot of different settings on this, one of the more popular seems to be matching the number of course you have. So lets say you have 4 cores, 4 min, and max threads. I have also seen things like min set to your number of cores and max as high as 256, but I'm not sure what benefit that has.

Oshyan

It's best to leave it alone and TG will automatically try to use the max number of threads your system can handle. But if you find your system becoming less responsive than you would like during rendering, you can set the number of threads to 1 less than you have available in your system. For example in a quad core i7 2600k like mine, I have 4 physical cores plus 4 hyperthreads, which gives 8 total threads. I set TG to use 7 cores (in Preferences) and my system is more responsive will still rendering almost as fast as with 8 threads.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on December 22, 2015, 01:44:03 AM
It's best to leave it alone and TG will automatically try to use the max number of threads your system can handle. But if you find your system becoming less responsive than you would like during rendering, you can set the number of threads to 1 less than you have available in your system. For example in a quad core i7 2600k like mine, I have 4 physical cores plus 4 hyperthreads, which gives 8 total threads. I set TG to use 7 cores (in Preferences) and my system is more responsive will still rendering almost as fast as with 8 threads.

- Oshyan

So you are counting your hyperthreading technology as physical cores? And then just taking one off. Also, with "1" minimum, and "64" max, how, and why is is Terragan automatically doing anything?  Shouldn't that be a checkbox?

bla bla 2

For me  I have a  I7 10Core and I put how much ?

Oshyan

No, I'm not counting the hyperthreads as *physical* cores, but I do know that hyperthreading can add up to 20% (total) additional performance, so to *not* take advantage of those 4 additional threads isn't ideal. Using 7 threads instead of 8 leaves the operating system and other applications with a small but useful amount of spare CPU power.

bla blah: For a 10 core i7 CPU, you have 20 total threads available (10 physical, 10 hyperthreads), so you could set it to 19 or 18 threads.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on December 22, 2015, 02:21:33 PM
No, I'm not counting the hyperthreads as *physical* cores, but I do know that hyperthreading can add up to 20% (total) additional performance, so to *not* take advantage of those 4 additional threads isn't ideal. Using 7 threads instead of 8 leaves the operating system and other applications with a small but useful amount of spare CPU power.

bla blah: For a 10 core i7 CPU, you have 20 total threads available (10 physical, 10 hyperthreads), so you could set it to 19 or 18 threads.

- Oshyan

So with me on the X5450 which has no hyperthreading technology my default 4 by 4 I've been using is good enough? (assuming I don't use any background applications)

Oshyan

You're saying you have a single 4 core CPU with no hyperthreading and you're using 4 min, 4 max threads? Yes, that's fine. Though we generally recommend limiting your threads in *Preferences* and not in each Renderer node. It's more consistent that way and it means that on a more powerful machine the additional threads available will be automatically taken advantage of, rather than someone having to manually change the max threads value.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on December 22, 2015, 03:41:14 PM
You're saying you have a single 4 core CPU with no hyperthreading and you're using 4 min, 4 max threads? Yes, that's fine. Though we generally recommend limiting your threads in *Preferences* and not in each Renderer node. It's more consistent that way and it means that on a more powerful machine the additional threads available will be automatically taken advantage of, rather than someone having to manually change the max threads value.

- Oshyan

Thank you! Makes perfect sense.