CD drive

Started by Lady of the Lake, March 02, 2016, 07:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady of the Lake

Has anyone had trouble with their CD drive not working in Win 10?  Want to do my taxes (yuck) and can't get the Tax CD to show.

masonspappy

not on my end. Upgraded 2 PCs so far and CD seems to work ok.   Do you know if you have windows 10 drivers loaded for CD drive?

Lady of the Lake

Don't have a clue....how to tell? 

AP

Roll back your drivers or update them. Does your CD drive come with a disc with drivers on it?

archonforest

Interesting. Never heard that a driver would need for a CD driver. Windows usually recognize them without any problem if the connections are good.
When you insert the CD does the drive spins the disc? (You should hear that plus the little light at the front of the cd should blink if reading)
Does it read other CDs?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Upon Infinity

The only problem I had with CD/DVD drives was losing my DVD software, which was easily solved by downloading a program called Pot Player.  I had no problem with regular files.

Lady of the Lake

The CD thing is not listed in the Device Manager.  When you insert the CD (have tried others) the green light comes on but goes out in just a few seconds.  The CD does spin as it is not in the same position as when inserted.   Either the computer is not recognizing the CD thing or it is shot.  Sigh.

masonspappy

Quote from: Lady of the Lake on March 03, 2016, 09:19:54 AM
   Either the computer is not recognizing the CD thing or it is shot.  Sigh.

how old is you computer?

archonforest

Quote from: Lady of the Lake on March 03, 2016, 09:19:54 AM
The CD thing is not listed in the Device Manager.  When you insert the CD (have tried others) the green light comes on but goes out in just a few seconds.  The CD does spin as it is not in the same position as when inserted.   Either the computer is not recognizing the CD thing or it is shot.  Sigh.
This sounds like you have power and no data connection. Open the PC (unplug before from power) and see that flat wide grey cable that going into the drive. See if it is plugged in fully. Also at the other end of the same cable. Make sure it is plugged in fully.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

j meyer

Maybe it's just autorun that does not work.
So before opening your computer you should try to run the disc manually.
Go to where your drives are listed and try to start it from there.

yossam

Her drive is not listed in device manager........... :(

masonspappy

This is a really dumb question , but.... was the CD drive working before the Windows 10 upgrade?

Lady of the Lake

Computer is 6 years old....yea, I know that is old.   But it's the best I have.   Yes, the drive was working before Win 10 install.   I have done some reading about it and it looks like a person might need to do something in the registry.............nope, not me.  LOL    Don't know why it would have come unconnected but will look at that.  I will use hubby's laptop for the taxes......it is as slow as a snail....and figure out what I want to do. 

Thanks everyone, you are the best.