realism

Started by Cocateho, December 25, 2015, 09:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Cocateho on January 03, 2016, 09:58:28 AM
I changed out the main tree... same bark texture with the new bump map. Leaves are custom as well, the tree model is actually the european chestnut from xfrog. Certain things I like, The main issue is forced displacement seems to have "exploded" the nearest branch, although others seem fine. The leaves I think actually turned out really well but I'm not sure about how they fit on the tree, and the bark actually looks more "oaky" than maple. On the trunk though I think the bark turned out well.

the scale of the displacement is very important. If there is only one shader for all the bark a good displacement on the trunks will be huge on smaller branches, and often 'explode' them if there are too few polys to work with.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Tangled-Universe

I can't figure out the lighting/shadows on the bark of the tree.
Where do those harsh dark shadows on the right of the trunk come from?
I also see soft shadows cast from things on the left outside of the camera frustum.
Are you using multiple light sources?
If so, do they all cast shadows?

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 31, 2015, 05:10:43 PM
Quote from: Dune on December 31, 2015, 03:57:40 AM
Actually, I don't really know what apps like Pixplant do to a texture, is it merely converting to greyscale and adjusting sharpness of certain levels? You can do a lot in Photoshop itself by converting to greyscale and smoothing out certain areas or grey-ranges, or even everything. Increasing lightness by hand for certain areas. As a real life person better sees what should be raised and what not.
Some textures have light falling on areas that shouldn't really be more displaced, but of course it depends on the quality of the texture.

I hear you and already make rudimentary bump, dispersal, lightening layers, etc. in PS...was wondering about where it gets the 'normals' info when it makes them or if it just colours a greyscale bump map.

http://www.crazybump.com/

Check out CrazyBump bobby! The free trial will allow you to play around with it. The settings allow for you to create very detailed, or soft normals/displacement and even textures. You can remove shadows/highlights from textures without all the isolation in photoshop.

I got it as a gift, but still I think it's worth it. Works like a charm.

On to the image - This is really awesome! I am wondering though, does those maple trees come with multiple leaf groups? You could vary each leaf groups color slightly to give different stages of decomp, like ones about to fall off, and others that have just recently changed.

inkydigit

Very cool...nice and crisp!
Love the colours!
:)
J

Dune

Here's a PixPlant made bumpmap of the chestnut bark.

bobbystahr

Nice bump map...even more tempting.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Cocateho

Thanks for the bump map Dune, I'll give that a shot with the original chestnut bark texture, it'll probably work a bit better given it was actually made for the model and not just a random image I found  ;D although I still really like the custom texture for the other tree i originally had.

WASasquatch - I'm honestly not sure how I would vary the leaves in such a way because it is just one leaf texture... other than to add a fractal, but even then I wouldn't have the level of control you're talking about. I'm sure there's a way I just don't know what it is haha.

Cocateho

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 03, 2016, 05:21:11 PM
I also see soft shadows cast from things on the left outside of the camera frustum.

To be honest, I have no clue either, only have sunlight  and envirolight. I don't know if it has something to do with the object itself?

j meyer

Quote from: Cocateho on January 09, 2016, 12:30:16 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 03, 2016, 05:21:11 PM

To be honest, I have no clue either, only have sunlight  and envirolight. I don't know if it has something to do with the object itself?

You could try to look at the trunk model in the preview with 'smooth shaded' mode enabled
or make a crop render without textures just grey colour to check the model. The jagged look
of these dark parts is suspicious.

WAS

You can

A) Ditch textures and use PF for distance trees

B) Apply a surface layer between the part and the default shader and apply colour variation. Disable fractal breakup (optional) and adjust coverage to taste.

Here is a method I devised from past advice on population colour variation. It basically creates a unique seed based on position. Lots of customization options. You can use the final merge shader as your colour input into your surface layer/default shader.

The control is random, as it would appear in nature. You can change the scales.

AP

Interesting, i will have to use this in some new endeavors.   

WAS

Quote from: Chris on January 09, 2016, 06:20:43 PM
Interesting, i will have to use this in some new endeavors.

Defintiely! Go for it! Took me forever to discover this method browsing the forums. Never knew what people meant by "vary your population colour" besides adding new populations with new colours.

Oshyan

There is a specific input for the Populator that takes an input shader and varies the color of the population by it. So you could have a Power Fractal with 2 colors which would influence the population's colors. Or this whole shader chain that you've put together. I guess I just wasn't quite getting why you said you didn't know what people meant when they said "vary your population colour"...

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on January 09, 2016, 08:09:15 PM
There is a specific input for the Populator that takes an input shader and varies the color of the population by it. So you could have a Power Fractal with 2 colors which would influence the population's colors. Or this whole shader chain that you've put together. I guess I just wasn't quite getting why you said you didn't know what people meant when they said "vary your population colour"...

- Oshyan

I have tried this the colour variation tint thing, and it creates black objects for me. I don't know why. No displacement, both colors checked. It also seems to do the entire object rather then specific things like leaves. And if you mean the default shader, that's what I meant by option B, either default shader or a sufrace shader. I use the surface shader cause with no fractalization and lowering coverage you can get some leaf detail from the texture through.

Oshyan

You have to increase the Diffuse Color Multiplier as by default the input shader multiplies the base colors, meaning it will always make them darker. So put it up at 2 or something, with the same input color settings, and it should work fine. If you're using very dark input colors, use a higher multiplier (or lighten your input colors). I admit that this is a bit confusing that the defaults do not produce results that are generally similar in lightness to your original though.

And yes you're right that it varies the entire object, not per-leaf. So working directly inside the object with the Default Shader inputs is the way to go for per-component color variation.

- Oshyan