A Favour To Ask

Started by WAS, January 02, 2016, 05:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

The file is well organised and definitely makes sense.
At least, in the sense of how it's organised and where's what.

I noticed it's complicated in the sense that a lot is going on and that not necessarily everything is showing it.
It's bedtime now here, will wait for the little render to finish, but it takes very long, because there's quite a lot going on seemingly.

The idea is clear. Let's see if we can strip this to its essentials and rebuild in a way it's faster and less complex.

Tangled-Universe

Just doodling with the sandstorm...
Will have another look at it tomorrow after work.

[attachimg=2]

WAS

nice creeping effect! Motion is a bit lost in.thr quick moving sandstorm department but like it. Is only the top tapered?

WAS

Looking on a large display ot definitely creates a sense of dramatically larger scales.

Tangled-Universe

You may like to check the changes I made to the camera to actieve that.
It's further away from the pillar/hoodoo, but has increases focal length.
The sandstorm needs work of course and was only 5 min of work so far.

WAS

It does look good though, I like the cloud details. It could use some whisps maybe. Is it just me or did I leave a PF's colour on for the shaders? Seems to be a large variance in sand colour that shouldn't be there.

Tangled-Universe

I don't think I have changed anything, but be aware that pulling the camera back and increasing focal length basically means that you will only see the ground surface near the centre of the original image, if you see what I mean.
The framing is much tighter now and is why it has an increased sense of scale.

To compare you can copy/paste the original camera from the .tgd you posted here and use that camera to render.

The sandstorm was just a quick doodle, as I said, and indeed needs wisps and other kinds of roughness to give it more of a sandstorm impression.

archonforest

indeed very dramatic effect but very cool!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

I'll have to take a look in the morning. bit late for me.

I'll also need to look into fixing that offset/altitude issue with the pillar seen here

I wanted to go procedural but too much got in the way and had to go with masks.

yossam

My rendition.................... ;D

bobbystahr

well when my 24hr + render finishes I'm gonna have a look see as well, you and TU have been having too much fun alone it seems...well yossam just posted his render...nice one yossam
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: yossam on January 04, 2016, 05:18:43 AM
My rendition.................... ;D

Very nice Yossam, this has a whole new mood to it. I like it. Clouds look nice whisping past the column.

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 04, 2016, 10:06:46 AM
well when my 24hr + render finishes I'm gonna have a look see as well, you and TU have been having too much fun alone it seems...well yossam just posted his render...nice one yossam

Ohh! I can't wait to see what you can come up with Bobby!

AP

Here are some nice reference photographs of various dust storms. I am certain there are better examples but these should be good enough to get the idea.

archonforest

3rd one is pretty scarry!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Tangled-Universe

I think my attempt is pretty close to that 3rd already, except for the smaller details.
This can be easily tweaked by increasing the roughness value of the cloud fractal to 1.5 or 1.75 or so.

After that it's a matter of tweaking the scales of the fractal (and scale along lead-in + smallest as well!).