Terragen freezes at file open/save prompt

Started by dpcole72, January 03, 2016, 09:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokoy

Quote from: WASasquatch on May 09, 2018, 04:02:43 AM
I wonder if this is related to a similar issue where when I open files Terragen freezes for a good moment before opening the file. Similarily, Terragen freezes the first time I insert a clip file or object for a good moment. After that though if I insert another clip file it's basically immediate. Terragen isn't crashing though, it's just slow and loading files, and for the first clip file or object load.

This seems to be new behavior. I don't remember this, even on my ancient machines on the past with TG2 and decade+ old CPUs.

Update: I tried translating and rotating the sphere to the same settings as the texture translations myself but there still seems to be shape changes. Not sure I'm doing it right though.
Sounds similar to my issues on different dual CPU machines:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23504.0.html

kvasibarn

It does sound very similar. At first I had no issues (January 2018), then it suddenly started taking longer and longer to open files, now it just freezes and I have to use the taskbar shortcuts to open scenes. Doing it this way the scene opens in an instant.

I am using terragen a lot, its basically my full time job on this project and I really enjoy it, but it makes this issue more than just a simple annoyance.
fiat lux.

pokoy

Both of you should probably report this in the support section. In my case, Matt offered a remote session so he could investigate it on my PC since it's not reproducible on their machines. However, I still haven't managed to find a good time for this due to heavy workload, maybe one of you can help him to get this resolved.

Oshyan

No need to re-post about it, we watch all threads in all areas. The different sections are just to *generally* keep things cleaner and more well organized. We will move or split threads as-needed as well.

As for the issue, we're back on the case and have a lead to follow involving localization. kvasibarn, are you on a non-English version of Windows or using a non-English keyboard layout?

- Oshyan

WAS

I myself have many languages installed and international keyboard layout enabled.

Oshyan

Erm, and are you encountering these specific kinds of errors WAS?

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on May 11, 2018, 05:29:30 PM
Erm, and are you encountering these specific kinds of errors WAS?

- Oshyan

As I noted, may be similar. Opening Terragen/Projects freezes on latest version. Adding clipfiles or objects presents the same freeze. The only difference is I recover.

Though after a clipfile or object is added, adding any further clipfiles or objects, no matter size, are almost immediate.

kvasibarn

Quote from: Oshyan on May 10, 2018, 11:29:42 PM
kvasibarn, are you on a non-English version of Windows or using a non-English keyboard layout?
- Oshyan

I am on windows 7 Enterprise, I use english Windows and Keyboard layout, however my company is japanese so there could be something to do with that still(?).
fiat lux.

WAS

Quote from: kvasibarn on May 14, 2018, 12:58:45 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on May 10, 2018, 11:29:42 PM
kvasibarn, are you on a non-English version of Windows or using a non-English keyboard layout?
- Oshyan

I am on windows 7 Enterprise, I use english Windows and Keyboard layout, however my company is japanese so there could be something to do with that still(?).

There's been note of foreign characters in filenames that TG doesn't like to handle correctly. Likely this could also interfere with parsing if special characters are used within notes inside TG, not sure.