Wrap strata

Started by gcordonnier, January 14, 2016, 07:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcordonnier

Hello,

I would like to use strata and force them to follow fold structures in the moutnains.
I have a folding map, which is a displacement for strata iso-level.

Previously, I used a power fractal shader to color the cliffs depending on altitude, and thanks to the warp input shader, I could  to trick the altitude with the folding map.
Is there any way to do the same thing with the strata and outcrops node ?

Thanks

Dune

If you use a strata shader first and then displace (in Y), it should work. Either displace, or vector displace or redirect.

gcordonnier

Thanks !

Thant's no what I wanted to do (I wasn't clear): I have a surface, and I wanted stratifiy, with the strata iso level being different than the iso altitude..

But I ended up importing my strata isolevel as a heightfield, stratify, and displace with the (surface - isolevel). It works perfectly !

gcordonnier

Ok, now how is the best way to add the same sort of fractal detail than the one of the heightfield shader to my result ?

Because I displace a lot the original terrain, the fractal detail is bad. But I mask some part of the strata, and in the masked part I would like to have the result of the heightfiled shader fractal detail.
For now I try to tweak some power fractal but I can't get the same result ..

Thanks

Dune

Would you mind showing what you do mean with what you're doing? I don't quite grasp the iso stuff.
Regarding fractal detail; try the fractal warp shader, either with the large default warp or small scale. That works kind of like the fractal detail from a generated heightfield.

gcordonnier

Ok, I will look at this shader.

For the folds, look for example the first image at http://www.teachingboxes.org/mountainBuilding/lessons/foldImages/index.html
I have a .ter for a simmilar surface surface, and I know the geological age of the folds.

Now I want to render them on terragen. If I trick the strata shader so that he thinks that the actual surface is the geological age, he will put the strata as wanted.
But maybe it is not possible ...

Thanks.

gcordonnier

Looks like from with thread: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=16766.0 that fractal wrap shader doesn't work on heighfield shaders ...

I join my node network.

Dune

Ah, now I understand what you're trying to achieve. And yes, I remember now that it won't work with the added fractal warp. The generator itself already adds some fractal detail. If you need more 'erosion' you may need to use a ridged fractal to displace down. If you use a higher number for variation (2) and some stretching and warp (and perhaps a slope restriction)  that may give good enough results.