OBJ Mapping conversion

Started by Volker Harun, January 20, 2016, 03:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

I am running into a problem, that I used to have a workflow for. But I lost that knowledge ;-)

Having an OBJ from Groboto, it does not shade properly in TG2. The shading applies to the OBJ's faces as a single colour/displacement.

I used to import it to a 3rd-Party-App, exported it and remapped in Blender.
With Blender as standalone I have no success.

What am I missing?
Do I have to triangulate the faces? Any mysterious UV-Stuff, that I refuse to know? Any App, that does this magic for me without the need to remap the OBJ?

Thanks in advance,
Volker ;-)

Dune

I think it doesn't export normals, so best try is to take trhough Poseray and recalculate normals. It will get heavier though. I have the same with a thatched roof (hair fibres) I'm exporting from ZBrush. Does look awful (flat) in preview in TG. But it renders well, strangely.

Volker Harun

I'll try poseray later this day ... thanks for the idea :-)

Volker Harun

I disabled the UV-Export in Groboto and the procedural shading of objects works now :-)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Volker Harun on January 20, 2016, 06:41:58 AM
I disabled the UV-Export in Groboto and the procedural shading of objects works now :-)

Good to know that  about Groboto...thanks for sussing it out.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

j meyer

Bobby - it's not Groboto specific - if you want to shade your model procedural
you don't want it to be UV mapped or you have to use world space. It's always the same.
Just like here
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20209.msg199715.html#msg199715
;)

bobbystahr

Thanks jochen...I suspected as much as I have started overcoming my fear of my colourblindness and bashing on with the ever useful Power Fractal shader.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist