Lightning's grass

Started by Hannes, January 22, 2016, 04:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

I always wondered if one just shuts up about how he/she created their models, then who will ever find out?
IIRC XFrog noticed similarities between XFrog presets and Lightnings work and that that is what made it all start.
Creating grass in ST/TPF from scratch; my guess is that no one will notice.

AP

Quote from: Dune on January 23, 2016, 06:06:07 AM
That looks good also, Chris. In fact grass can be made with a lot of apps, perhaps even Zbrush or LW. It's a great pity that even simple models such as these can't be shared, coming from ST or TPF.

I've seen trees done in Zbrush but a rather involved process. Lightwave has an old Plugin called TreesDesigner.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on January 23, 2016, 06:07:35 AM
I sent the models to Volker and Pascal. Both offered to recreate these from scratch, so hopefully we'll all have some more neat grass in the next weeks.

Smart move Hannes  8)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 23, 2016, 06:35:04 AM
I always wondered if one just shuts up about how he/she created their models, then who will ever find out?
IIRC XFrog noticed similarities between XFrog presets and Lightnings work and that that is what made it all start.

We seem to be a bit OCD about being honest,....not that I think that that is a bad thing, and as a formerly obsessed modeler I find that nice, but agree...who the heck would notice?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

After mentioning ZBrush I was just trying some grass (fibermesh-based), and that works quite nicely for simple grass (no elaborate plumes and seeds). I'll drop some at NWDA (to attract some folks  ;)) for free after I finished some trials. They're good for overall coverage.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 23, 2016, 11:33:05 AM
After mentioning ZBrush I was just trying some grass (fibermesh-based), and that works quite nicely for simple grass (no elaborate plumes and seeds). I'll drop some at NWDA (to attract some folks  ;)) for free after I finished some trials. They're good for overall coverage.

cool, we can never have too much generic grass...thank you Ulco
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

masonspappy

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 23, 2016, 10:42:32 AM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 23, 2016, 06:35:04 AM

We seem to be a bit OCD about being honest,....not that I think that that is a bad thing, and as a formerly obsessed modeler I find that nice, but agree...who the heck would notice?

Well, I think there would be a few people who might.  My youngest daughter married a guy who works for a major (worldwide) music house, and his only job is to track down music played by businesses (eg background music, elevator music, music while on hold to name just  few) and ensure those businesses are paying appropriate royalties.  We've had a few discussions about the lengths he and others go to to enforce music copyright and entitlements, and based on what I know now I wouldn't even think about trying to play pilfered music in a public setting if I had my own business.

Assuming same would hold true in art world as well. The fact that xFrog even noticed the similarities makes me think that 'someone' out there is actively looking for copyright infringers/ripoffs. Almost have to assume same is true of TPF/ST/any other art software.

If you're just a hobbiest making images for your own pleasure then generally you won't noticed. But if you're submitting completed works of art to semi-public forums like this or (more importantly)  actually trying to make $$ from your work, I think you have to assume someone will eventually be checking for connections between your work of art and their product.

Dune

I can very well understand that, having my own trouble sometimes with copyright infringement on my work, but for simple models it's one thing to notice a similarity, but quite another to prove it's been made in a certain modeler. After all, polys can be put down and bent/added in all sorts of ways, taken through other modelers, and so on. And grass kind of always looks similar to other grass, on the whole.  Just putting some oil on the fire  ;)

Here's a small image of the grasses I referred to. ZB+Poseray.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on January 23, 2016, 11:52:22 AM
I can very well understand that, having my own trouble sometimes with copyright infringement on my work, but for simple models it's one thing to notice a similarity, but quite another to prove it's been made in a certain modeler. After all, polys can be put down and bent/added in all sorts of ways, taken through other modelers, and so on. And grass kind of always looks similar to other grass, on the whole.  Just putting some oil on the fire  ;)

Here's a small image of the grasses I referred to. ZB+Poseray.

This. Exactly.

j meyer

Nice fiber-grass. :)

They didn't notice a similarity simply,he was braging in public forums what he had done.
So he was begging for it.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: j meyer on January 23, 2016, 12:13:44 PM
Nice fiber-grass. :)

They didn't notice a similarity simply,he was braging in public forums what he had done.
So he was begging for it.

Ah right, so I did not recall correctly.

Bragging about it ain't particularly smart indeed :)

TheBadger

^^Being a rebel is all about getting the T-shirt these days.  ;D ;D

The only thing I am confused about in this thread is the implied idea that there are not already free grass models of high quality to use. What precisely is the gap that the OP grass was trying to fill? Or is just about having more of everything to better get diversity in renders easier?

Not against it at all! Seems if we all wanted there are enough of us that we could have a modeling week where each of us just makes one grass patch, could end up with quite a good collection then. Just make them TGO so that they stay in the community.
PS could lock them if it were a kinda official effort or something. Host them in a file sharing sticky.

Mehhh, too much work!.. maybe not.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

If you guys make original, high quality grass models that you're OK sharing with the TG community for free, we would gladly host them and make them part of the official freebie downloads on our main site. All the components would have to be original though (including e.g. textures), or the original licenses of any assets you used would have to be compatible with free distribution.

- Oshyan

AP

That seems good enough to agree with, so agreed.

TheBadger

I will commit to one model of serious effort if others do. Hannes already got two people! A few more and it would really be worth it as a kinda solitary group effort.
That grass that Ulco posted above looks quite desirable ;)
It has been eaten.