Sierra's WIP

Started by Tangled-Universe, January 24, 2016, 06:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Some may have seen an earlier version of this on FB, but here's a new iteration.

This is only the top half of the image.
I'm still working on the bottom section of the render and I still have to pursue some other ideas for improvement, like changing some tree types and placing some big boulders here and there, as well as some dirt/twigs and suchs.
Quite a lot of work to do, actually.

Anyhow, enjoy, hopefully.

Cheers,
Martin

archonforest

It is a great start! I like it.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Tangled-Universe

Here's a preview of the foreground rocks...still WIP as well.

Lady of the Lake

Wow, those rocks looks so real.....great job.

fleetwood

Excellent naturalistic color choices for the forest. The slopes immediately brought to mind some of the scenes in the 1941 Bogart movie, "High Sierra".

El Kabong

The peak next to the two spires is Mt. Whitney. 14,495 ft. Been there.
...and what I mean by that is, on that peak.  :)

Nice render going there Martin. Boulders=awesome!

Later, Ron

zaxxon

Excellent start, looks to be an ambitious project!

Cocateho

Wow, great start! I really like the overall feel. There's a certain "softness" to it, is that soft shadows? And those foreground rocks kick @$$  8)

A few suggestions, some of which you might have thought of: More color variation in the rock faces. I know the sierras are lighter colored in general, but maybe some dull, darker reds and browns? Could use some ground cover too, particularly under the trees, and maybe not quite so rocky right under them. And maybe a few gnarly bent pines out in the scree field for some variety?

Just my thoughts, what I see looking at it, though sounds like you've already got some ideas  :P.  Can't wait to see where this goes!

Tangled-Universe

Thanks all so far :)

Quote from: Cocateho on January 24, 2016, 11:20:23 AM
Wow, great start! I really like the overall feel. There's a certain "softness" to it, is that soft shadows? And those foreground rocks kick @$$  8)

A few suggestions, some of which you might have thought of: More color variation in the rock faces. I know the sierras are lighter colored in general, but maybe some dull, darker reds and browns? Could use some ground cover too, particularly under the trees, and maybe not quite so rocky right under them. And maybe a few gnarly bent pines out in the scree field for some variety?

Just my thoughts, what I see looking at it, though sounds like you've already got some ideas  :P.  Can't wait to see where this goes!

Seems you're having the ideas as me on how to improve this. Didn't think of reducing stones under the trees though, so thanks for bringing that up :)

Tangled-Universe

Still fiddling with the water settings.
I'm looking for a nice water transparency colour or volumetric colour, but I can't get it nailed so far...

mhaze

This is excellent, a brilliant job. I would love to see it at a higher res.  I think you definitely need some veg amongst the scree.  Tree placement is perfect but the odd big boulder would break up the uniformity of the scree.

TheBadger

Pretty great. Very real. *Scale is awesome*. Agree with the plan going forward.

Thought you left us for some other software T-U. Really nice to see this new render man!
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

I agree with pretty much everyone, great sense of scale, the tree distribution and color variation is excellent, the sense of depth is spot-on. Some bigger stones/stone scale variation (mostly on the talus slopes) would be good, and more rock color variation definitely (subtle, but still, especially for rocks near the water vs. on higher slopes). Also, that cloudy version is really nice. ;)

Really looking forward to seeing this get finalized, it's a beautiful scene.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Oh I actually disliked that cloud version Oshyan. I don't have that tgd anymore as this time I'm working with only 1 file-version  ::) A bit of an analogy to film-photography: think before you shoot.
Those clouds used Matt's Mackerel sky setup as a base, which I tweaked. It's still in my head how I did it. I will likely be able to reproduce it and better.

Oshyan

Ack Martin, rookie move! :P You never work on one file. Especially with so many variations that are interesting and potentially useful here. Hehe. Ah well.

- Oshyan