Sierra's WIP

Started by Tangled-Universe, January 24, 2016, 06:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Well I was better at TG when I was a rookie ;)
Just trying to re-invent myself to keep it interesting and challenging at the same time :P

Oshyan

Save Incremental buddy. :D

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

That's for pussies ;)

Nah serious, I usually save things many times. My Crater Lake image has around 70 versions or so. Keeping track of that is also a nightmare (shit, I liked those colours better in version...42? or 48? or 35? or...?)

With this one I think twice and make less changes at a time.
It takes longer, but it's nice.

Here are some tests for water...what do you guys think? I think it's really hard to get the colour right.

Oshyan

The bottom one is better so far I think. But yes it's very hard to nail this particular color, as appealing as I find it to be!

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Thanks :) Can you be a bit more specific on how you think it should be? More blue, more green?
Perhaps a reference pic you think is suitable for this scene? I feel a bit stuck with this, probably spent too much time with this aspect.

Oshyan

I am attempting to make this water myself now, so if I get something good I'll send it to you. :D

- Oshyan

AP

Here is some reference photographs to take some inspiration from. All from the Sierra Nevada's in varied locations.

Dune

I'd go for the silty bluegreen look. Will you be adding some reflection where water hits stone? It doesn't look very wet yet. Nice to see you posting some real imagery again, instead of 'just' words, btw  ;)

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Ulco :)
One thing at a time, well...may be two ;) Wet stones and nailing the look of the water is what I'm working on now with some guidance and discussion with Oshyan. Artistic vs realistic/correct, it's quite hard to choose.

DocCharly65

I am very curious now for the bottom half. The top half image looks already great!

inkydigit

Killer stuff as ever Martin!
More 'milky' water?
:)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Chris on January 24, 2016, 06:43:12 PM
Here is some reference photographs to take some inspiration from. All from the Sierra Nevada's in varied locations.

Thanks Chris for bringing these to my attention :)

I like the murky look of #2 and it's an option I'm considering to give a try.
At the moment my first option which I will explore is this reference:
http://www.grahamowengallery.com/photography/Kern-River.jpg

After that I think I will go for your #2 image.
The river is quite wide in my image so perhaps this situation applies better, but I must also not forget the esthetic aspect :)

Quote from: DocCharly65 on January 25, 2016, 06:26:59 AM
I am very curious now for the bottom half. The top half image looks already great!

There's a little bit to be seen already in the post above.
Lower quality than final though, but you can see the work on the stones.
It's still not finished though, as Ulco pointed out ;) :P

Quote from: inkydigit on January 25, 2016, 06:39:44 AM
Killer stuff as ever Martin!
More 'milky' water?
:)

Thanks Jason and yes...more 'milky' is something I will explore.
I think #2.jpg from Chris is a very nice reference which might suit my scene very nicely.

I will keep you guys posted, just a couple of hours more work and then back home ;)

zaxxon

The 'milky' is actually 'glacial milk', and given the terrain that you've created it's likely to have such phenomena. A common sight in the high Sierra Nevada, caused by fine clay particles resulting from the grinding movement of the glacier(s), suspended and refracting in the water. Depending on how close you are to the drainage it can be quite dense. Love to see if something similar can be created in TG. Watching this with pleasure and anticipation.

TheBadger

Would like to see the milk too. Would also like to hear about how you do it, if you do.

Cloud maybe?
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

It's pretty easy to do this actually, with the Volume Density settings. There is no arcane magic about it guys. :D

- Oshyan