Sierra's WIP

Started by Tangled-Universe, January 24, 2016, 06:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Yes, but not here, please.

Ariel DK

I am glad to hear that Martin. two months ago I started with WM, I have not even given a chance
to the Spline tool (which is what you probably use for the river I think), so it would be good to get
down to work on this again, but before, I can ask some advice from your own experience in WM when creating terrain like this?
just some "tips" haha thats is all :)
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

paq

QuoteFair enough, but why?
Being honest is very much desired, but without an argument it's kind of useless, right? ;)

I can't stress enough that the stones are still to be worked on...

Generally speaking it seems no one is reading what others and I are saying.
They look at the picture and don't seem to check what has been said already.

Hello,

I have tried to rightly choose my words, it was just a personal impression ... maybe I prefer the shadow distribution on the right shore from the previous version.
So I'm sorry about the useless comment  :-X  (even if 3,4, ... 20 pages of justifications can't change anything about a first impression right ?)
Gameloft

Tangled-Universe

See, you do know why ;)
Just take that 1 extra minute, it's not facebook :) :P

One of my concerns was that you didn't like the new composition or that the stones are different and much more close up.
Seems it's about the shadows, mostly.

I'll do a bit more experimenting to see if I can get more appealing results.
Right now I really like how the light touches those trees near the shore in the distance.
With a bit of morning-mist I think I can create a very moody image out of this?

TheBadger

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 30, 2016, 10:26:11 AM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 30, 2016, 05:03:34 AM
Generally speaking it seems no one is reading what others and I are saying.
They look at the picture and don't seem to check what has been said already.

I call that FaceBook syndrome...causes many a flame war there

It happens. I have done it. Always feel bad after.  ;D

On a side note, I have looked at some reference photos in this thread. I see you have done and are doing your research. But for me, it is difficult to accept the continuous white color everywhere. I see that is the reality, but it is outside of my personal experience so it feels not real, if that makes sense. So the image reference that I looked at, the ones that I like best, are the once where that natural real color of the terrain was broken up a lot by green plants and mud and such. Again I know you are not done. But just giving you my thoughts to confirm or add to yours.

Also, I don't see how a place like this can be shot in a vertical format. Don't know if that was the plan at the end, but a traditional landscape frame would probably create a better image in most views, unless this view here is the final. But then it may be nice to try a pano of some number of frames in the vertical, to make it wider, but not change your set up. Feels a little strange to look at a place like this in a vertical comp, but that is probably highly subjective.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Michael, I really appreciate your thoughts :)

The vertical composition is probably a personal thing indeed, but you're right in your observation that the vast majority of the shots out there is in landscape format.
Perhaps you could see it as "trying to do things different", but I'm not really that type of guy, only occassionaly.

At the moment, during all those countless test renders, I'm watching Photography courses by Art Wolfe and Fran Lanting (from CreativeLive) and I guess if they would look at this composition then they would very likely ask:
Ok, looks nice, but what's the subject? what's all that empty sky doing there?

Still lots to do, indeed.

In the mean time, here's a newer version where I tried to add some morning mist. It's too dense and too close to the camera.

mhaze

Love the mist - still not a fan of the foreground rocks.

Tangled-Universe

mhaze

Not sure what you mean Martin!   The rocks structurally are excellent I just don't like the flat light.  Sorry :(

Seth

The lighting is, indeed, not very interesting here, Martin.
Everything looks flat and over-lighted on the foreground and that big shadow is not good looking.
It's a bit like people taking pictures with the sun on their back.