Subsurface Scattering Normal/Surface Layer Bug??

Started by WAS, January 19, 2020, 04:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

So if you have a colour setup, which relies on displacement (that the SSS will also have) I notice that the SSS ignores the height based colours and only does the base colours.

First preview is PT, and second normal preview.

I do have non-UV images checked, though it made no difference.

I think this is a bug because if we're using custom shapes, and colour uses constraints that are also suppose to be in the volumes, it doesn't work.

Matt

I'm not sure I can figure out what the problem is from these screenshots. Do you have a TGD?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Here he's the project more or less around same spot. I think I tried to just feed displacement through the glass main input.

I figured with volumetric colouring it'd work, but I'm sure there's a pretty obvious reason.

Matt

It seems to work if I change the Surface Layer's altitude key to "Final position". I'm not sure why this is needed at the moment, but give it a try and see if it works for you.

WAS

Ohhh it works! Thank you so much! This is a silly project but it has nostalgia to me.

Matt

In the regular preview, changing "Fractal Colour Top" position key to "Final Position" makes it work.

In the RTP, you also need to disable "Evaluate colour function volumetrically" in the Glass Shader. I'll investigate why the two previews are working differently.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on January 20, 2020, 03:33:05 PMIn the regular preview, changing "Fractal Colour Top" position key to "Final Position" makes it work.

In the RTP, you also need to disable "Evaluate colour function volumetrically" in the Glass Shader. I'll investigate why the two previews are working differently.

Oh that's interesting. I hadn't tried RTP yet on this fix so thanks for the warning, I probably would have been confused. haha

Matt

Figured it out. Path tracing only works in the RTP, so the volumetric option doesn't apply in the regular preview (or the standard renderer).

WAS

Oh that makes sense. So not a bug, as standard preview and standard renderer simply aren't computing these things volumetrically?

Matt