River

Started by Dune, February 02, 2016, 11:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I had this idea to make a sunset kind of river scene, so here you are (WIP). In the distance the low marshy lands end into a row of dunes before the river flows into sea. The Roman border road lies alongside the river, a watchtower every few hundred meters (edited pop). Maybe I'll add a boat or two, a castellum, and change the vegetation. The encircled river area lacks depth, and I have to set that right, as I want a continuous glowing river.
This (detail 0.6, AA 6, soft shadows, masked out water areas) took 1hour and 17mins on an i7.

yossam

Nice.............like the pov.  :)

archonforest

indeed the pov is great!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

masonspappy

Agree re: POV - that's one heckuva nice view!

Tangled-Universe

Stunning view and work on perspective is really nice :)
Actually, it's all good looking and the composition really leads the eye, I like that.
The road is distractingly wide and "dominant" though?

mhaze

Great POV and the atmosphere is wonderful.  I agree with TU about the road but I suppose you have little choice but to include it.  Perhaps it could be partially hidden by vegetation and trees?  I like the river banks and the ponds but the trees seem too sparse, though I like the long shadows they cast.

AP

Quite a good impression of distance and scale. The atmospherics look well lit and convincingly heavy. The smaller ponds are neat to see as well. Like the upper Canadian Tundra and Taiga. The roads do seem to stand out in certain ways but as was mentioned it might be necessary the way it is.

Dune

Thanks guys. I really don't know how the Romans kept their roads, but I guess they were pretty good at it, this being their main military artery on the northern border of the empire. Should be 7m wide, which it is. But I agree it stands out. Too much vegetation would have been cut down, as the watchtowers should be in sightlines.
I think I will add more trees in the marshy areas away from the river, and improve the castellum. And I don't like the flat light on ground, perhaps more diversity in low vegetation. Will be continued.

I noticed the water shader has some ugly black patches down below. Mmmm.

AP

Yes, i can see adding more trees in those areas now when i look at it again and agree about the low vegetation. What about some stones for less flat ground also? Would there have been a good amount in this region?

Dune

No stones in that area at all. The only big stones to be found in our country are deposited here in the ice ages, and that didn't go all the way across the country.

DocCharly65

Very nice project again, Ulco  :)

In the first image I didn#T like the sand banks in the river but in the second it's ok now.

Good that it seems to be just a trail. Some weeks ago I saw a documentation and learned that the romans built most of the paved streets only straight and rectangular because of their way of measurement. They couldn't build curves.

(hope the documentation didn't lie at me... )

otakar

The Romans did not have mowers (but again who knows, they were advanced? :) ) so at least grass and bushes on the margins should make that highway stand out a bit less. Cool view.

bobbystahr

I thought all Roman roads were brick or cobble paved.....but awesomely massive image...Bobby Like.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

masonspappy

Quote from: otakar on February 03, 2016, 11:35:35 AM
The Romans did not have mowers...
maybe sheep and goats?