River

Started by Dune, February 02, 2016, 11:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

The area was largely uninhabited, 'hostile' tribes living in the northern area, 'domesticated (by the Romans) tribes and Romans in the south, the Romans principally in castella and larger 'towns'. The rivers found their way through marshy, boggy low land, and deposited sandy banks. Off those banks it was very wet and boggy. Later these extensive bogs were cultivated, excavated for peat and dried down, so nowadays the rivers mostly lie higher than surrounding countryside, hence the need for Dutch dikes. The Roman border road and castella were built on the river dunes area.
So this morning I had this better idea to first raise an area of wide sandy deposits, use the inversed mask for the bogs, then make a shallower line for the river and smooth that down again (partly). I also want to make more dunelike areas.
Still no need for a compute terrain  ;)

The areas between the towers would have been cut low, but for the rest there may have been large extents of 'wet trees' and shrub.

Some next WIP's, still no good at all.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 04, 2016, 02:51:08 AM
The area was largely uninhabited, 'hostile' tribes living in the northern area, 'domesticated (by the Romans) tribes and Romans in the south, the Romans principally in castella and larger 'towns'. The rivers found their way through marshy, boggy low land, and deposited sandy banks. Off those banks it was very wet and boggy. Later these extensive bogs were cultivated, excavated for peat and dried down, so nowadays the rivers mostly lie higher than surrounding countryside, hence the need for Dutch dikes. The Roman border road and castella were built on the river dunes area.
So this morning I had this better idea to first raise an area of wide sandy deposits, use the inversed mask for the bogs, then make a shallower line for the river and smooth that down again (partly). I also want to make more 'dunelike' areas.
Still no need for a compute terrain  ;)

The areas between the towers would have been cut low, but for the rest there may have been large extents of 'wet trees' and shrub.

Some next WIP's, still no good at all.

Heh heh heh, pretty much all your work is 'dunelike'
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

And seriously, thanks for the early Dutch history vignette. I never knew that stuff and now I do and am better for it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

:) This illustrates the riverlevel above ground rather well.

mhaze

I Like these better - somehow the road has become more subtle with the changes in vegetation.  Hearing the history really helps to understand why you are doing things and adds to my understanding of the image, great!

Dune

Thanks, Mick.
I've made a completely new setup this morning, building up as described, which of course became more complicated while working all masks out. Now the vegetation in the dunes can be adjusted to fill valleys, water level, waves and coloring can change between river and marshes, dunes can be raised or lowered, etc. I am curious to see if I can make a braided river out of this, or at least some parts to braid in and out.
Another light direction is now rendering. Still no compute terrain, so rather fast (39mins at detail 0.6 and AA6).

And other light.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 04, 2016, 03:28:07 AM
:) This illustrates the riverlevel above ground rather well.

If I ever get overseas Holland, (Mom's family), is going to be right after Scotland (Dad's family). Every picture I see of Holland, modern or ancient, has resonance in me.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 04, 2016, 08:16:21 AM
. Still no compute terrain, so rather fast (39mins at detail 0.6 and AA6).

And other light.

I like em both, maybe the darker a bit more...and "Still no Compute terrain"?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Right, I don't use slope restrictions, just heights, so I leave the compute out. That's the benefit of a flat country  ;)
Getting there... but there's a mistake in here (in masking)  :(   And the trees will be much better, just finishing some new willows. Shores haven't been done either.

bobbystahr

well well well...I must try that....live and learn. I live in one of the flattest areas on the planet....apopros.
Really like the wee folk on the road...as small as they are they make a large difference....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AndyWelder

Well, no real input on this so familiar landscape from me, just that I'm in awe. These scenes are beautiful, Ulco. Oh and about the Roman roads: Didn't they use so called "knuppelwegen" (stickroads?) in the marsh areas?
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

otakar

Ulco, looking real nice, but this piqued my interest in Roman roads again. They strived for straight lines, going as far as diverting streams and draining marshes and of coure building bridges. Not sure if they would follow large rivers, in particular in the provinces, could not find any definite pointers towards that in my google session. But I found this Dutch project, which is quite interesting. http://mappingtheviaappia.nl/project/

The Via Appia itself had a perfectly straight 90km long section. Incredible feat!

Dune

Thanks for thinking along, guys. Your thoughts made me think again and send some emails. I have to know for sure (if they know) if the northern military roads were also straight. Technically, I hope not, as procedurally it's much more cumbersome to implement, if not impossible. Interesting site, btw, thanks for the link.
@Andy; yes, they made 'knuppelwegen' through marshes... nice idea for another impression one day. Thanks for bringing it up.

DocCharly65

The POV looks much better now with the river from bottom left to upper right!
I love that wide view!

...and good to know that I was not dreaming with the straight streets.
I read ome more details: The romans led their "via strata" even straight through swamps using dams. and they didn't pave their roads continuous, but only before crossings, towns and in difficult terrain.

bobbystahr

Great and very informative thread. Sometime these are like going to the school I wish I'd had as a kid.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New