River

Started by Dune, February 02, 2016, 11:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Great!  The colours are so much better - the road now looks as though it belongs!

TheBadger

Sun set one is striking!
It has been eaten.

Dune

I abandoned the previous setup for a new one (having learned one or two things), where I tried to get the river to 'erode' and 'deposit' in a more natural way. Base needs some work, as the far river is drained by too large X to scalar northern hemisphere morenes.

AP

That is a good more realistic river concerning the shore morphology.

AndyWelder

I wonder how you manage to fit the water object into the bed over such a large distance; if I try this the river disappears and leaves a dry bed or it spills over the bed and floods the land. But I figure from the
Quotefar river is drained by too large X to scalar
part there are blue nodes  :o involved.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

KyL

This last update looks really nice Dune!

Very natural behavior, looking forward to it...

Dune

You have to use simple shapes that overlap eachother, the river area (banks and such) being a wider SSS than the river itself. Then warp both, and if needed transform each warped SSS (move or stretch, or whatever) or warp again to make a difference between the total river area and the river itself. The blue nodes I mention were for the high northern land, but I dropped that and used a huge oval SSS as well, worked better.

River area is claylike, so no bright yellow-white dunes any longer. High ground on right is poor heath, and grass. Southern part, beyond river is wet and boggy.

DocCharly65

I like this new river bed very much!

It's very interesting to follow the project growing or changing.

It would be interesting to see somthing complicated like the river bed as a "SSS tutorial"... untill now I just tried easy and really simple shape shaders like rectangular and combinations of rectengulars in my "SilentHill street" . did I miss an interesting post somewhere?

mhaze

Nice work - look forward to the finished work.

Kadri

This will be nice too i am sure but curious why you abandoned the other one Ulco?

Dune

@Kadri; I learned from a few archeaologists that river areas and beyond were different in terms of soil and layout, and vegetation. So it wasn't really correct in that sense.

masonspappy

I like this, the topography is much more what I envision around a slow waterway.

Dune

@Nils: probably; I've posted a basic river setup a year ago or something, but basically it's simple; use a warp shader with the SSS as input and a vector displacement as function and feed a PF into the function input of the vdisp shader. For warp in X direction, set the scale of X a bit bigger for more even width of the river, I usually set Y scale at 1000, just to be sure the fractal doesn't change over height (especially for roads). Vdisp shader X at 1, rest at 0, offset of X at -0.5, so the basic line stays centered. And then you can play with PF settings, and add all sorts of variations (extra PF+vdisp). You can even (don't tell anyone  ;) ) use this as a mask for a surface shader, give a nice white color and use the breakup for some nice effects (breaking op the [grey] sides of the warped soft SSS). It's a huge playground  ;D

Dune

It's kind of done, just have to check with the experts. Reduced for posting, though. Second image is the area it's based upon.